British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-02-13, 10:37 AM

Default Identification please of WWI Indian Cav badge

Hi guys,

Can anyone help me identify the cap badge this officer is wearing. The photo is dated 28th July 1915 and was taken in France so it is probably the badge he sailed with from India in 1914. He appears to be a captain. the badge looks to me like a pair of crossed swords with a crown above the meeting point and a couple of numerals between the two hilts - similar to 28th cavalry, though swords more like those on a 33rd cavalry badge.

It's a bit of a mystery since the only likely captains in the photo would be from
11th Bengal lancers (Probyn's Horse)
14th Bengal lancers (Murray's Jats)
15th Bengal Lancers (Skinner's Horse)

There's an outside chance of
10th Bengal Lancers (Hodson's Horse)
27th Light Cavalry
6th Cavalry

Your help would be much appreciated since I'm helping a guy in India identify and find photos of the British Special Service Officers who served with the Jodhpur State Forces for a new unit History he is writing.

Forgive me for not buying Izzat (well I may do) but I'm really a lapsed medal collector and don't collect badges.
I do have a great interest in photos of pre 1914 IOM winners but really it will just be badges of the British SSOs in photos that I'll be concerned with.

Next month I'll be going to look at some photos that a family have of their ancestors' service with the Jodhpur Lancers in 1918. There may be some of the following cap badges in there and I have no idea of what they look like. I am hoping to find them on this site once albums are open to me (I'm a newbee today)

If anyone is feeling very kind, I'd be very grateful if they could sketch, scan or photo the following WWI era badges and post them for me on here or email them to me (jon.lee63 AT googlemail.com) (I'm going to be really busy with work next month when I see these albums this family have and I mustn't be tempted to spend hours on the net trying to find pictures of cap badges.)

4th Cavalry (Bengal)

6th Cavalry (Bengal)

10th Bengal Lancers (Hodson's Horse)

11th Bengal lancers (Probyn's Horse)(if different to crossed lances, scroll and POW feathers on crossing point)

14th Bengal lancers (Murray's Jats)

15th Bengal Lancers (Skinner's Horse) (if different to crossed lances, crown above crossing and rosette on it, with scroll below)

16th Light Cavalry

27th Light Cavalry

34th Cavalry

36th Jacob's Horse (if different to lancer on horse with 36 below and scroll below that)

37th Lancers

Guides Cavalry

Sorry if it seems cheeky, but I've thought about buying Izzat and it seems wrong to remove a scarce book from Abe's catalogue just for a passing interest of two month's duration. I won't think badly of anyone if I receive no pictures (and will just have to make another trip to the National Army Museum to look at the badges there) But I thought I'd ask. (I'm doing this research for free and have spent over 400 hours and a thousand pounds on copying photos from the British Library, NAM, Bodleian etc. so I'm not a sponger.)

On a separate post I'll post a pic of an officer wearing a 5th Cav cap badge for the records of this forum in case it's of use.

Many many thanks

Jon Lee
OMRS 5324
BMF, SAGongs, IMHS

PM for address.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B20075-13.jpg (63.9 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by Bill A; 25-02-13 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Privacy concerns.
Old 25-02-13, 04:22 PM

Hi Jon,
This badge looks like 12th Cavalry, King's Crown over crossed swords over the numerals XII.
Cheers, Tinto
Old 25-02-13, 04:27 PM

Physical Training corps attached? Just to throw an oddball in...

Tom
Old 25-02-13, 04:31 PM

I have send you an e-mail.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 25-02-13, 09:14 PM

Default Still need 4th, 12th, 14th, 15th and 37th pics PLEASE

Hi All,

Well aren't you guys stars! Bless Forums like these. Thanks so much.

So sorry I put (Bengal) in where it shouldn't have been, and yes 15th Cureton's Multanis it should have been.

Henk, thank you so very much and for pointing out that it was an officer's badge for Probyn's that I wanted.

I'm so grateful for the ID of 12th Cav but would love a pic of the badge if anyone has one since I can see I'll be debating the matter with the author in India because we don't have a 12th Cav officer listed!

I'd be very grateful for links or mails etc with 1903-1922 officers badges of

4th Cavalry
14th Murray's Jats
15th Curetan's Multanis
and 37th Lancers

Thanks everyone. Really kind of you

Jon
Old 25-02-13, 10:09 PM

Have found 12th Cav badge as you described Tinto in KOYLIs album. Thanks so much
Old 14-09-17, 03:20 PM

Default 4th Cavalry

Did anyone ever get a pic of 4th cavalry badge circa 1914 ?
Old 16-09-17, 05:14 PM

Hi Jon. Have both Izzat and Sepoys and Sowars. Can send you all you need but give me some time. Or if you're on WhatsApp I can send on phone. Please send me a pm with your number or email. Btw talk in Delhi next week on Jodhpur Lancers by Brig Jodha on Haifa Day, but wont be able to make it. Regards, Sunil

Last edited by Khyber; 16-09-17 at 05:18 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 22-09-17, 04:48 PM

Hi Sunil,

Many thanks for the offer. That was a very old post and I too now have Sowars and Sepoys and Izzat.