British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-01-24, 07:31 PM

Default Old Man Winter

I live in the south (US) and we are not used to truly serious winter weather, but this current front that has gone through and is expected to keep temperatures around -13 C at night and maybe -4 C during the day for the rest of the week. Unfortunately, with the snow fall also, we've had the roads are considered impassable, so there is no mail delivery. I understand and am genuinely fine with it, but I do have a package with several really good badges that is at my post office which can't be delivered! Not sure when I'll get it... but as they say "Patience is a virtue", and “Sometimes the best things in life take a while, but they're worth the wait.” .

Terry
Old 16-01-24, 11:58 PM

Default winter

You'll have to get the snow shoes out Terry - there's badges to be picked up !

All the best,

Mark
Old 17-01-24, 01:16 AM

Well, you can either get used to it or move here to California.... if you can afford it
I was born and raised in Buffalo NY and I fully understand your predicament.
The Post Office is a pretty good outfit no matter what they say and I am sure they will come through.
Stay cool!

CB
Old 17-01-24, 03:17 AM

Snow shoes... I think not, but then you're right, there are badges to consider... and some really good ones too!!!

California, Nah, although a born Yankee, I have lived all of my adult life in he south, so I figure I'll end it in the south as well... y'all know that mena!!!

k So.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow as it's supposed to get to 32 degrees F???

Terry
Old 17-01-24, 01:22 PM

Here in central state of Illinois it has been anywhere from -10 to today it is 7…. But I must say that anything below 10F it is difficult for me to tell the difference unless the wind is blowing.. Up near Chicago they have these same temps but with a large amount of snow.. We at least dodged that bullet
Old 17-01-24, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
Snow shoes... I think not, but then you're right, there are badges to consider... and some really good ones too!!!

California, Nah, although a born Yankee, I have lived all of my adult life in he south, so I figure I'll end it in the south as well... y'all know that mena!!!

Attachment 294944

Hopefully tomorrow as it's supposed to get to 32 degrees F???

Terry
Terry, is it true that the last words of most southern guys is "Hey y'all - watch this"?

2°c where I am today - it's around this sort of temperature that the media in the UK is shrieking "It's cold (again this year) - we're all going to die!!!"
Old 17-01-24, 01:36 PM

I forgot to say - the Postie should arrive any minute with a badge for me.
Old 17-01-24, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Terry, is it true that the last words of most southern guys is "Hey y'all - watch this"?
Leigh

I thought it was “Hold my beer…”

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 17-01-24, 05:19 PM

Irish, Nothing personal, and that being my home state, but please keep those temps!!! I have a collector friend in Kansas City who told me the day time temp was -4 F!!!

Leigh, well, I can say that the normal and accepted greeting in the south is "Hey", used as in "Hey Leigh". That covers everything from "How ya do'n" to "Whots happen'n".

Other well known Sothern-isms are: That dog'll hunt. (That plan will work.), Bless your heart (but only used by the ladies), If I had a brain, I'd take it out and play with it. (I don't know what I was thinking.),I'm fine as frog hair,. (An enthusiastically positive response to "How are you?").

If I share any more I have have y'all speaking southern, so I'll lever her there.

Terry
Old 17-01-24, 09:32 PM

Two days of sunshine, even with below freezing temps, and the roads are better and the mail has been delivered!!! Yep, my package is in hand and I am just off to open it. I'll be posting some new picks in my album.

Terry

Anything worth having is worth waiting for!!!
Old 18-01-24, 01:58 AM

Oh boy, Christmas can come in January!!! I have these badges on hold since November but didn't wnat to ship them during the holiday crunch, but was thrilled to finally have them today. You can see some real gems, or at least for me!!!

DSCF6369.jpg

Definitely worth waiting for!!!

Terry