British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-08-12, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
Interesting combined operations badge, 'No Eagle'.

Marc
I am assuming that this is because the RAF were not involved with tanks or running landing craft?
Old 11-08-12, 10:57 AM

Hi,
Maybe the CO badge was one of those two part bullion/gilt badges that had the “gilt” Eagle added separately and the Eagle has been lost.

Below is some information on LCT 924

LCT 924 was in 55 LCT Flotilla. Which was in “U” LCT Squadron, Assault Group “G” 3, based in Southampton just before D Day.

CO of LCT 924 on 6th June 1944 was Lt. J. L. Abbott, RNVR

55 Flotilla was split for D Day and the LCT were Attached to Group 13 in Assault Group “G” 2.
They were 1st Division of 55 LCT Flotilla : LCT 1121, 926, 922, 564, 924

6th June 1944
Carried vehicles from the 151st Infantry Brigade.
Reached lowering position at 07.45 and the “In” waiting position at 08.10.
Ordered to beach at “JIG RED” at 12.10.
Two craft damaged by mines on way in. LCT unbeached and returned to the UK after unloading all vehicles.

Regards

Danny
Old 11-08-12, 01:09 PM

That's some very interesting info there Danny

Jig Red was part of Gold Beach, Arromanches to La Riviere, this area was designated to the;

50th (Northumrian) Division, and included

1st Dorset, 1st Hampshire, 6th Green Howards, 5th East Yorkshire Regiment & 47th Royal Marine Commando. [see photo 1]
(The 47 RMC could be the unit that he was assigned too, only a guess mind)

1st Dorset Regiment was allotted the area of Jig Red
(looking into the regimental history of this unit may uncover more info)

Next there are 2 images taken at approx 12:00hrs (I believe this to be later)

Look at the cluster of large landing craft/ships in these images

P8110978.jpg Jig Red is on the right side of JIG & King Red is on the left side of KING

P8110975.jpg How to distinguish from Landing Craft Tank & Landing Ship Tank, simple Ship has a pointed bow & Craft has a flat bow.

P8110976.jpg 1st Dorset Regiment was allotted the area of Jig Red, Jig Red is to the left of the road in this image.

This could actually be the Floatilla of ships and craft coming onto the beach at 12:10 hours, look closely and you can see a large column of v ehicles forming up on Jig Red above.
Old 11-08-12, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones1958 View Post
Sorry new to this website so might get something wrong.

I've just discovered my dad was a Wireman (LC) and during 01/04/1944 to 08/09/1944 under ship/shore Establishment it says LCT 924. I have his badges and medals. I've hopefully attached the picture for you to see but apologise if it isn't there because I'm not too good with all this. Is this what you were looking for?
I don't know what LCT 924 is and what his role would entail so if you or anyone else have any information I would be appreciative.
Here are illustrations (3rd & 4th row down) of the PO Wireman, Leading Wireman & Wireman (LC)
Your father may have worn one of these badges Marc.

RCN Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JAN 1 22.jpg (57.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 11-08-12, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
I am assuming that this is because the RAF were not involved with tanks or running landing craft?
Hi Phil, the RAF did in fact have quite a lot to do with landing craft! The men of the RAF Servicing Commando undertook lading craft/amphibious operations training at Inverarry the same as any other commando or serviceman connected with combined operations and wore the combined operations badge of anchor, eagle and tommy gun.

Why a naval wireman on a landing craft would have a badge without an eagle is a mystery to me and I'll watch this thread with interest in hope of an anwer!

Regards

Tony
Old 11-08-12, 06:49 PM

Hi,
Just found the information on this badge here http://www.combinedops.com/INSIGNIA%20SPECIMENS.htm

See item 27 for another photo of this variation of the CO badge.

Regards

Danny
Old 11-08-12, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Hi,
Just found the information on this badge here http://www.combinedops.com/INSIGNIA%20SPECIMENS.htm

See item 27 for another photo of this variation of the CO badge.

Regards

Danny
Good old Terry , I had forgotten all about that badge.

Marc
Old 12-08-12, 03:06 PM

Default Badges

Thank you all for information/picture of LCT.

54Bty - you mention No Eagle, sorry what does that mean? Where would this Eagle be? Sorry I'm not a badge collector but interested in my father's part in WW2 and cherish his medals etc. I've come across this website because of typing in LCT.
Old 15-08-12, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCN View Post
Here are illustrations (3rd & 4th row down) of the PO Wireman, Leading Wireman & Wireman (LC)
Your father may have worn one of these badges Marc.

RCN Bryan
Hi Bryan
What book is that scan from please? It looks like a good reference. There are a couple I have been looking for, just wondering if this is one of them or something different.
Thanks. Cheers,
Alex
Old 15-08-12, 05:54 PM

Two pics attached from some items I have to a man who served on landing craft. One pics shows him with trade badge, star/torpedoes/L, the other is a group shot, presumable of his LC crew, the POs have Combined Ops on their lower right sleeve. His papers show him as Wireman(LC), later Leading Wireman(LC), and he served at HMS Drake, Dinosaur and COPRA
Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RN-LCa.jpg (66.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg RN-LCb.jpg (33.5 KB, 17 views)

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 15-08-12, 07:41 PM

Hi Lee,
The group photo was taken on a Landing Craft Gun (Medium) probably second half of 1944 or sometime in 1945.

The LCG(M) was not available for the Normandy landings in June 1944. First Operational use was Walcheren on the 1st November 1944.

Photo may have been taken when she was commissioned as the goods wagon in the background has “South Shields” on it and most if not all of these craft were built in this area.

Regards

Danny
Old 21-08-12, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Hi Bryan
What book is that scan from please? It looks like a good reference. There are a couple I have been looking for, just wondering if this is one of them or something different.
Thanks. Cheers,
Alex
JAN1 (Joint Army Navy Publication Number 1) Compiled by US Naval Intelligence & Reprinted (1991) by the Naval Institute Press, MD. The USNI in 1943-44 compiled a good illustrated listing of the insignia's of the Allied & Axis forces & produced them in this book. I believe it OOP now.

I have been asked by another member to show the RN pages from this book & I will do that when I have more time to devote to it, summer construction keeps me quite busy until at least end of Aug,

RCN Bryan

Last edited by RCN; 21-08-12 at 12:45 PM.