British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-08-17, 03:30 PM

Default Strange badge on early commandos

Hi,

I'm looking for what is the badge on the pockets of this both commandos?

This photo was taken during the Operation Claymore in March 1941 (Raid in Lofoten islands in Norway)...

... and this one is a photo of Lance-Sergeant Charles R. Hughes killed in action during Operation Archery in Vaagso raid, December 1942. He was member of the 2 Troop, No. 3 Commando. His first regiment was the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment.
In his biography on the website of Commando Veterans Association, it isn't tell that he was on the Lofoten islands.
So, I don't think so he isn't the same guy on the both photos.
http://www.commandoveterans.org/Char...ughes3Commando

The badge looks like in metal and looks like represents an animal. It isn't looks like regulation, both soldiers don't wear it on the same side of the pocket. I don't know the first regiment of the commando of the photo taken on Lofoten Islands, can it be another variant of a Bedford & Hertford badge?

I just know this both photos with badge, do you know others?
Do you have any idea of what is this badge?

Regards,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg insigne-2.jpg (31.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg insigne-1.jpg (37.4 KB, 32 views)
Old 15-08-17, 04:38 PM

I am not sure that it is a badge. I think that it is a good luck charm in the shape of an animal such as a dog. Soldiers often carried good luck charms and I think it is visible in the studio photograph so that the recipient of the photograph, wife, girlfriend, mother, can see it being worn. In the other photograph it was probably worn in the pocket and tied to the button and would not be visible in normal circumstances.

I think that it is the same man in both photographs.
Old 15-08-17, 04:56 PM

These photographs have puzzled me for some time - I believe they both came from the Commando Veterans Assocation site. I have a further private image with the wife of a well known Commando wearing something similar.
I agree it could be a good luck badge, but I also believe it could be some form of 'funding day' badge, given wear by a Commando wife.
Always interested to hear a definitive answer.
Mike
Old 15-08-17, 05:09 PM

I should add - I think the first image is possibly Alexander Innes Sinclair Royal Armoured Corps - KIA D-Day 6 June
http://www.commandoveterans.org/Alex...clair3Commando

Mike
Old 16-08-17, 08:00 AM

I found this two others pictures from a video of the Lofoten Raid with the same guy (I think). He doesn't looks like wear the badge on it. This video was filmed during the fighting not as the first photograph taken during the return on the boat.

Capture d’écran 2017-08-16 à 09.55.02.jpg

Capture d’écran 2017-08-16 à 09.55.29.png

Capture d’écran 2017-08-16 à 09.54.52.png
Old 16-08-17, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
I should add - I think the first image is possibly Alexander Innes Sinclair Royal Armoured Corps - KIA D-Day 6 June
I'm not sure. Both photos together to compare.
IWM-Claymore_1.jpg
Old 16-08-17, 08:51 AM

A nice 13/18 H slip on title in one image. Mike
Old 16-08-17, 10:18 AM

Pretty sure its Alexander Sinclair - guarding Quislings on return journey with a day or two stubble, as opposed to a studio photograph.
Yes - nice early slip on Mike. I get confused re overall scope of RAC but ties in with 13/18 H. Of course the D Troop really catches your eye.

I spoke to a number of veterans about the raid and a very small chap (but hard as nails) told me he had been the bodyguard for the film crew. Others confessed he had his work cut out, as some participants on the raid objected to photographs etc, despite the fact it was intended for effective propaganda.
Mike
Old 16-08-17, 10:19 AM

Quote:

Mike
Can't agree that they are both photos of L/Sgt Alex Sinclair, Mike, the noses are completely different.

Nick
Old 16-08-17, 10:21 AM

Nick
Perhaps I would not be the most reliable person to put an ID together - but a coincidence re D Troop etc - mouth looks similar so I guess I might just agree to disagree. It would be good to know for sure though.
The veterans I spoke to were at the Warrington reunion of the original Commando Association, a fair time ago - shame I didn't have the picture then to ask them.
All the best
Mike

Last edited by Mike B; 16-08-17 at 10:46 AM.
Old 16-08-17, 10:34 AM

These images are taken from the exceptional Commando Veterans Association Archive - you will see my point re both images being badged as D Troop, No.3 Cdo.

Images added here just to explain my reasoning - but very much open to correction.

Returning to the main point of the thread - I can definitely confirm the mystery (animal?) badge appears in a photograph showing wear by a wife, her husband is wearing a green beret so that must suggest wear over a period of time.

Mike
Old 16-08-17, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Nick
Perhaps I would not be the most reliable person to put an ID together - but a coincidence re D Troop etc - mouth looks similar so I guess I might just agree to disagree. It would be good to know for sure though.
The veterans I spoke to were at the Warrington reunion of the original Commando Association, a fair time ago - shame I didn't have the picture then to ask them.
All the best
Mike
Hi Mike,
I agree that the mouth is similar, as are the eyebrows, but the noses are different shapes. Sinclair's is dished and quite bulbous at the end whilst the guy in the steel helmet has more of an aquiline/Roman nose - the bridge is narrower.
I have scaled the two photos and overlaid them and none of the facial features match...

All the best to you and your brother,

nick
Old 16-08-17, 08:07 PM

Hi Chaps,

For my tuppence I have to agree that these are not the same chap. As mentioned the nose is different as are the eye sockets.

Pity we can't see the ears as the positioning of such is normally a great way to distinguish between two people.

Cheerio,

Roy

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 16-08-17, 11:14 PM

Quote:
These photographs have puzzled me for some time - I believe they both came from the Commando Veterans Assocation site. I have a further private image with the wife of a well known Commando wearing something similar.
I agree it could be a good luck badge, but I also believe it could be some form of 'funding day' badge, given wear by a Commando wife.
Always interested to hear a definitive answer.
Mike
Hello gents. I would like to add something to this subject. Since both men participated in the Lofoten commando raid (Op.Claymore) and since the Lofoten
Islands are above the Artic Circle,perhaps someone thought it would be a good idea to have something to remember the raid and had a (perhaps) metal polar bear made, to be worn very unoffically by those who were active in the raid.The fact that the commando in the top photo is already wearing the polar bear is a bit strange.
After all the Br.49th Infantry Division adopted a polar bear as its div.sign after fighting in Norway and based in Iceland for a time.

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 17-08-17, 07:57 AM

Well Chaps - given this concensus it is just as well I have not had to do a police photofit (although I was once in an ID parade - long story - but got reimbursement for standing in line).

Interesting theory re polar bear.

The private image I have is the wife of a chap whose parent reg was Duke of Wellington's (West Riding). He was No.6 Cdo - see image below. The Cdo himself is wearing Green beret - (post October 1942)

You can see a sort of suspension to the animal, so as suggested by High Wood it may be possible to wear tucked inside a pocket.

Parties from No.6 Cdo had participated in Operation Kitbag (Floro, Norway) in Dec 1941/Jan 1942.

Perhaps a pattern is emerging re an 'Arctic' connection

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MJB - Inventory O - Family Photograph - -022.JPG (29.9 KB, 51 views)