British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-05-17, 01:42 PM

Default 69th Battalion

Hi All

I have yet another question:

The 69th Battalion, CEF: As I understand it, this was one of the French speaking battalions, yes?

If so, the other French battalions seem to all have "Canadien Français" on their badges. Why does this battalion have the English "Canada"?

Many thanks for any words of wisdom.

Cheers, Tim
Old 22-05-17, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
Hi All

I have yet another question:

The 69th Battalion, CEF: As I understand it, this was one of the French speaking battalions, yes?

If so, the other French battalions seem to all have "Canadien Français" on their badges. Why does this battalion have the English "Canada"?

Many thanks for any words of wisdom.

Cheers, Tim

Hello Tim, I will try to answer your question. The 69th Battalion, CEF reecruited in all the province of Québec so for this reason the badge has the Québec provincial crest,also the badge has the wording 'Service Outre Mer' (Overseas Service), explanation not needed here.Finally the word 'Canada'✱ is neither French or English,it's bilingual,showing that the battalion was from this country.

The 69th Battalion was authorized on 10 July 1915 and embarked for Britain on 17 April 1916.
The battalion was commanded by Lt.-Col. J.A. Dansereau from 19 April 1916 to 4 January 1917.
The battalion was awarded the battle honour THE GREAT WAR 1916-17.
The battalion provided reinforcements to the Canadian Corps in the field until 4 January 1917, when its personnel were absorbed by the 10th Reserve Battalion, CEF. The battalion was disbanded on 30 August 1920.
The 69th Battalion, CEF is perpetuated by Les Fusiliers Mont-Royal.

Jo

✱The name of Canada has been in use since the founding of the French colony of Canada in the 16th century. The name originates from a Saint-Lawrence Iroquoian word kanata (or canada) for "settlement", "village", or "land". It is pronounced /ˈkænədə/ in English, [kanadɑ] in standard Quebec French. In Inuktitut, one of the official languages of the territory of Nunavut, the First Nations word (pronounced [kanata]) is used, with the Inuktitut syllabics ᑲᓇᑕ.

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.

Last edited by Voltigeur; 22-05-17 at 03:40 PM.
Old 22-05-17, 04:01 PM

Salut Jo

that's fantastic. thanks, I had missed "outre mer" and now it makes much better sense to me.

Much appreciated!

merci, Tim
Old 22-05-17, 04:45 PM

Hello Chipper, and all

I am French and collect Canadian cap badges, living near Vimy.
The last remark on "service outremer" proves the origin of this battalion.
The motto "Je me souviens" is that of the 22nd french battalion.
Nice day in Canada.

Jean Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Badges canadiens 12-2016 (1).jpg (74.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 22-05-17, 05:00 PM

Bonjour Jean-Paul,belle collection d'insignes de la 1ere GM, félicitation. Au sujet de la devise 'JE ME SOUVIENS' a elle a été utilsée par le 22ème Bataillon mais en fait, c'est la devise officielle de la province de Québec.
Mes salutations.

Good day Jean-Paul,a nice collection of badges that you have,congrats. About the motto 'JE ME SOUVIENS' used by the 22nd Battalion, is in fact the official motto of the province of Québec.
Cheers.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 22-05-17, 05:45 PM

Bonjour Jean-Paul
Je vous remercie pour l'information, et pour montrer votre collection, des badges très agréables là-bas. Vimy est une belle partie de la France, et bien sûr, si proche du Mémorial canadien! Je suis australien, mais je vis au sud, dans le Gard.
Salutations, Tim

(Désolé, mon français est pas très bon.)
Old 22-05-17, 06:20 PM

Tim, votre français est très bien. HUMMMMMM, un aussie parlant avec un accent méridional....intéressant....
Salutations
Jo

Old 22-05-17, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

A couple more points. The 69th Bn was headquartered in Montréal, but recruited French speaking personnel throughout the province of Québec. (See Jo's post.) The bulk of the battalion, a draft of 720 went to the 22é Bn, but as noted above, the 69th is perpetuated by Les Fusiliers Mont-Royal.
Old 22-05-17, 08:22 PM

Thank you Bill.
Jo

Old 22-05-17, 09:01 PM

Lol, mon accent est très parisien...

Thanks Bill, appreciate the extra info,

cheers, Tim
Old 22-05-17, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
Lol, mon accent est très parisien...

Thanks Bill, appreciate the extra info,

cheers, Tim

Jo

Old 23-05-17, 12:54 AM

Jean Paul's Canadian cap badges the right way up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jean Paul's Canadian cap badges.jpg (62.6 KB, 17 views)
Old 23-05-17, 05:56 AM

Thanks for that.

Cheers, Tim
Old 23-05-17, 11:58 AM

Hello everyone!
Thank you for your feedback.
Indeed, a native of French Flanders, I have lived for 40 years on the battlefields of 14-18, of which there is little left today, alas. Vimy is a great symbol.
The history of the French soldiers first until 1916 then that of the British and all the soldiers of the commonwealth fascinated me especially by visiting the numerous military cemeteries of my region of adoption.

Have a very good day everyone.

Jen Paul

PS: Chipper, your French is definitely better than my English.
Thanks also to the image rectifier!