British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-04-14, 02:06 PM

Default KOYLI OSD BADGES

can anyone clarify what cap badge KOYLI officers wore in 1902 pattern service dress please? the obvious answer is the French horn and rose in bronze, with blade fasteners. but, were they bronze and did they have blades?
As regards collar badges, Churchill (p.222) states that bronze badges were introduced in 1902 but in 1904 they were replaced by black badges with a silver rose, these being worn until 1951. one from my collection is shown below.
Did the above also apply to cap badges and, if so, did the cap badges always have blades or were collar badges, with lugs, worn as both collar and cap badges?
I can only recall seeing one bronze and although I've seen quite a few black/silver badges I've never seen either type with blades, only lugs. blades might not be practical owing to the size and shape of the badge.
So,I'm inclined to think that black badges with a silver rose were worn as officers service dress cap badges and that at least some collar badges with lugs, like mine, were also worn as cap badges.what do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0456.JPG (60.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0457.JPG (56.4 KB, 27 views)
Old 10-04-14, 02:12 PM

Hello David,

They had blades, just like the one that Hammo has for sale!

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=38764

cheers,

Andy C
Old 11-04-14, 06:40 AM
guest123a

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwyke View Post
can anyone clarify what cap badge KOYLI officers wore in 1902 pattern service dress please? the obvious answer is the French horn and rose in bronze, with blade fasteners. but, were they bronze and did they have blades?
As regards collar badges, Churchill (p.222) states that bronze badges were introduced in 1902 but in 1904 they were replaced by black badges with a silver rose, these being worn until 1951. one from my collection is shown below.
Did the above also apply to cap badges and, if so, did the cap badges always have blades or were collar badges, with lugs, worn as both collar and cap badges?
I can only recall seeing one bronze and although I've seen quite a few black/silver badges I've never seen either type with blades, only lugs. blades might not be practical owing to the size and shape of the badge.
So,I'm inclined to think that black badges with a silver rose were worn as officers service dress cap badges and that at least some collar badges with lugs, like mine, were also worn as cap badges.what do you think?

Hi David,

Blades are cap badges and lugs collars I'm afraid.

That said as from the from the correct facing collar looks identical to the cap badge I'm sure that in some instances (not just limited to the K.O.Y.L.I) that the collars would have been worn as a cap badge, I have pairs of collars on lugs and cap example on blades both for the silver and blackened OSD types.

Regards,
Marcus
Old 11-04-14, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMO2440 View Post
.... the correct facing collar looks identical to the cap badge I'm sure that in some instances (not just limited to the K.O.Y.L.I) that the collars would have been worn as a cap badge.....
Regards,
Marcus
and here it is....
Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Koy1.jpg (117.2 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Koy2.jpg (117.4 KB, 46 views)

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 11-04-14, 11:34 AM

Very nice Lee - thanks for sharing!

Andy C
Old 11-04-14, 11:59 AM
guest123a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Smelly View Post
and here it is....
Lee

Lee,

Certainly there is no arguing with that,

Cheers,

Marcus
Old 17-04-14, 12:53 PM

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the responses, much appreciated, particularly Lee for providing the evidence!
As Marcus suggests, I'm sure some regts which had cap and collar badges identical in size and design routinely wore the collar badges as cap badges. East Riding Yeomanry for exaple.
Perhaps it's because lugs and a pin are more likely to hold the badge securely in place than blades (which tend to snap) or a slider.

David
Old 17-04-14, 02:04 PM
Former Member

The badge shown is being worn in the GS Cap/Beret! So is technically not OSD, as in the initial question! I agree 100% that OSD badges probably rotated between cap and collars, however 99.99% of the time the cap badge would have blades and the collars would be lugged! During the early period of wear almost all OSD badges where the same size (cap and collars) hence many lugged examples are offered for sale as "Cap Badges"! I have no doubt the marriage of hat and badge shown by Lee is probably original, however it would be far easier and less likely to cause damage to the badge by using a collar rather than continually remove the cap badge from the SD cap! After all they were designed to be fitted once and left there!

Andy
Old 17-04-14, 05:58 PM

When I first started collecting King's badges a few decades ago I was given an OSD collar badge that the wearer wore in his GS cap / beret.
Old 24-04-14, 12:48 PM

Hi chaps,
Many thanks for the further replies, much appreciated.
Incidentally, I think KOYLI officers often wore OSD badges on both the GS cap/beret (as shown by Lee) and also on the collars of ballle dress during WW2, although collar badges were not authorised for battle dress. I think we can all agree that the latter will have had lugs!

David