British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Arab Nations

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-12-13, 09:21 AM

Default translation, help needed, armoured unit plate

Hello
can you translate this, please ?
I think it's from Saoudia Arabia
thanks for answers
cordially
Didier

Old 14-04-14, 08:25 PM

Sorry, can't help you with the translation. However, the badge design in the centre is Egyptian. Hope this helps.

Ian B
Old 14-04-14, 10:52 PM

Sorry to disagree with Ian but........I would say Royal Jordanian because of the Hashemite Crown.......

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 15-04-14, 09:04 AM

The badge says "Victory or Death" on the lower scroll.
The red scroll reads: Al kuwat al arabiya al saudiya al musalaha : the Arabian Saudi Armed Forces (not Saudi Arabian, but Arabian Saudi for some reason)
and then under that it says "Silah al mudara'at" - Armoured weapons)

Eddie
Old 15-04-14, 11:41 PM

Default Egyptian vs. Saudi Arabian

I initially said the plaque was Egyptian as the only reference book I have on Mid-East badges is Otto von Pivak's, "Armies of the Middle East" (Mayflower Books, New York, 1979).

In the section on the Egyptian Army is a line drawing that is remarkably similar to the badge seen in the centre of the plaque above. It is described as follows -- "Armour: A winged horse, two lances and a tank, green facing [badge is worn as a collar badge]). When I saw the pictures above, I remembered seeing that drawing and looked it up in the book. However, I looked no further before I posted my reply.

After Eddie's post, I went back and checked further. There, in the section on the Saudi Arabian army, is a description of the Saudi Armoured's regimental badge -- "Armour: Within a crowned laurel wreath, over a scroll, the hull of a tank, rising from it a rearing winged horse before two lances with a scroll stretched between them bearing 'Alforsan' (Horses). The lower scroll bears 'Alnasr ua Almaut' (Victory or Death)."

So, based on this I must change my opinion and agree with the others that this is Saudi.

What I find fascinating is that both countries badges for the Armoured are so similar. It's funny how after all these years, I remembered that line drawing better than the written descriptions of the badges. Oh well!!

Stay safe and have fun.

Cheers,

Ian
Old 16-04-14, 08:43 AM

There is no doubt at all that this is a Saudi plaque. After all not only does it say so but the device at the top is the standard Saudi cap badge.

Nor is is too surprising that the badge bares a similarity to Egypt since the army of service collar badge it is based on was designed and made in the UAR and later Egypt for the Saudis. Many badges in that part of the world and particular Egypt, Syria, Iraq and Yemen are based on similar symbology much as the fuzed grenade is widely recognised as an artillery or engineer symbol in the West and alsoused by the Saudis, Egyptians Jordanians etc.

The collar badge design was worn in the 1960s (cast and Syrian made) and 1970s (die stamped and Egyptian made).

Eddie
Old 27-05-14, 08:31 PM

Hello Gentlemen
thanks a lot for your help
cordially
Didier