British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-11-13, 02:23 PM

Default Small collection of WWII SAAF badges

A small collection of WWII insignia of the SAAF, pilot wings, observer half wing, cap badge and shoulder title. At the end of the war, a SAAF regiment was incorporated into the 13th South African Motor Brigade: would they have sported SAAF titles and cap badges? is there any photographic evidence? Thank you and all the best!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAAF_Cap_Badge_1.jpg (60.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg SAAF_Cap_Badge_2.jpg (54.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg SAAF_Title_1.jpg (42.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg SAAF_Ttile_2.jpg (88.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg SAAF_Wing_A_1.jpg (40.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg SAAF_Wing_A_2.jpg (33.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg SAAF_Wing_B_1.jpg (66.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg SAAF_Wing_B_2.jpg (54.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg SAAF_Wings_1.jpg (69.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 02-11-13, 04:29 PM

Loupie

The "Good Dudes" has a huge collection of SAAF badges and hopefully will comment here.

A nice little collection, try and source some WAAF SAAF badges they are the same pattern and are available for a few pounds, will keep a look out for you.

Brian
Old 02-11-13, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham View Post
Loupie

The "Good Dudes" has a huge collection of SAAF badges and hopefully will comment here.

A nice little collection, try and source some WAAF SAAF badges they are the same pattern and are available for a few pounds, will keep a look out for you.

Brian
thank you Brian, it would be very kind of you!
Old 04-11-13, 10:23 PM

Hi Loupie,

Post WW2 the SAAF's badges and uniform was changed. It was a clear step away from the army's uniform and insignia, which is what they wore up till then. If there was a unit incorporated to the SAMB after the war, then they would not have worn the SAAF insignia. If you have the SAAF regiment/ squadron no then it would be a little easier to verify it.

You have some nice pieces there, there are some Mess Dress versions of those around as well. I think I saw a pilots one on Bidorbuy recently.

Jimmy
Old 05-11-13, 05:00 AM

SAAF Cap and Collar insignia only changed in 1959, so WWII type insignia was worn until then. The SAAF shoulder title was done away with c.1951 when S.A. collar badges were adopted. An embroidered/bullion officers badge was adopted c. 1951/2 with Kings crown, later replaced with a Queens crown. Uniform did change from khaki to airforce blue post war. Not sure of actual date but I believe was also in the 50's.

Steven
Old 05-11-13, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Good Dudes View Post
Hi Loupie,

Post WW2 the SAAF's badges and uniform was changed. It was a clear step away from the army's uniform and insignia, which is what they wore up till then. If there was a unit incorporated to the SAMB after the war, then they would not have worn the SAAF insignia. If you have the SAAF regiment/ squadron no then it would be a little easier to verify it.

You have some nice pieces there, there are some Mess Dress versions of those around as well. I think I saw a pilots one on Bidorbuy recently.

Jimmy
Sorry for the misunderstanding: I meant that in the final phases of the war, SAAF troops were incorporated in the 13th SA Motorized Brigade, in order to reinforce the much depleted 6th SA Armoured Division because of the lack of infantry and the relatively small need of Airforce troops. I was wondering what would they have worn apart from 6th SAAD insignia, so possibly SAAF epaulette titles and SAAF cap badges on their... I guess GS caps or khaki/black berets?
Old 02-04-14, 08:08 AM

Default More SAAF titles

More SAAF/SALM titles: are the differences in construction related to different years of production?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAAF_Titles_1.jpg (21.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg SAAF_Titles_2.jpg (52.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg SAAF_Titles_3.jpg (48.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 02-04-14, 07:35 PM

Loupie

I have seen your third one referred to as the "long version", really nice collecting area as there are a numbers of versions.

Difficult question you have asked. Finding info from source these days is not easy, most of our WW2 aviators and ground crew have passed on.

Brian
Old 03-04-14, 04:45 PM

Default SAAF Air Sea Rescue title

This is another interesting SAAF title from WW2. They played a vital role off the SA coast. Apologies for the unclear image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAAF Title ASR.jpg (61.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 27-04-14, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madziro View Post
This is another interesting SAAF title from WW2. They played a vital role off the SA coast. Apologies for the unclear image.
Nice and, I guess, pretty scarce title!
Old 27-04-14, 01:22 PM

An extremely well made SAAF title on a extremely well refinished slip on orange tab... just a pity is only one title!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAAF_slip_on_title_A.jpg (83.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg SAAF_slip_on_title.jpg (79.4 KB, 10 views)