British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-09-17, 11:50 AM

Default Which Rifles regiment?

Hello,

I would be very grateful for any views on the unit pictured in the attached photographs. I have one or two ideas, but nothing concrete, and I just wanted to see what people thought.

Many thanks in advance,

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unkown rifles 3.jpg (36.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Rifles ST.jpg (37.4 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Rifles NCO cross belt.jpg (35.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Rifles busby.jpg (26.2 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by Drew; 12-09-17 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Problems with attachments
Old 18-09-17, 01:05 PM

Attached is my illustration of a photograph I have saved on my computer. Apologies, but since I do not remember where I got it and cannot add my source, I thought this was more appropriate in making my point.

I believe it is a St. George’s Rifles cross belt badge and I thought it looked very similar to that which the Sergeant is wearing in the ‘Rifles’ photograph I posted above. I wonder if this is evidence that what we might have here are the Queen Victoria’s Rifles?

I don’t think the photo looks pre-1908 and I think perhaps they are wearing ‘T/9/County of London’ metal shoulder titles. Therefore the St. George’s Rifles no longer exist. However, I would speculate that the NCO is nonetheless still wearing his old cross belt. What do people think?

One reason for my wondering about this is because I have been reading quite a few of the London Regiment histories recently, and one thing that has struck me is how many times they state that a certain battalion would continue wearing an older style of uniform or accoutrement until stocks ran out and how sometimes this was because of cost. In addition, even if this was not always the case with more ‘well heeled’ Battalions, I would add that perhaps it was tolerated, and even allowed, in deference to battalion loyalties of a pre-1908 date ; it might even have been a way of demarcating companies. Perhaps this would be unthinkable for the Regulars, but I have my suspicions about the Territorials in this regard.

In the past I have always tended to look at photos and date them according to the chronology we have. For example, and in this case, ‘If it is post-1908 it cannot possibly be the St. George’s Rifles!’, but recently I have started to wonder if in reality it wasn’t so clear as that.

More than happy to be proved wrong, but thought I would post anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg St. George's Rifles 1.jpg (47.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Cross belt 1.jpg (50.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg cross belt 2.jpg (19.0 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Drew; 18-09-17 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Tautology ;)
Old 18-09-17, 06:38 PM

Chris,

I'd say that shoulder title is post-1908. The 'T', whilst not crystal clear, is definitely there.

For what it's worth: the Sgt. has what I think are at least three efficiency stars on his right cuff (indicating 15 years returned annually as efficient) so he's been in for a while and so may well be wearing an 'accoutrement' from the pre-TF days on the pouch belt.

Copyright Drew.jpg

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 18-09-17 at 10:59 PM.
Old 18-09-17, 08:54 PM

Thanks, JT. Very good to have another little bit of evidence.
Old 18-09-17, 10:32 PM

Chris, after a bit of careful study I think you're right, QVR and an obsolete cross-belt badge.
Old 18-09-17, 10:56 PM

Many thanks, Hoot. It is very nice to have a second opinion on that.

Tags
rifles