British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-08-17, 11:44 AM

Default WW1 Helmet markings help

Good afternoon all
Just after a bit of help or advice on the markings on this eBay helmet I'm interested in at he moment http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...ps0imey9iu.jpg . The helmet I'm 100% happy with, it's help with the inverted black triangle marking, the lower chess board marking is the 34th Division but I'm struggling with the triangle , I've haven't seen a doubled up marking on a WW1 helmet so not sure if it's ok ? The only connection with the 34th Division I can find regards a triangle like this is the attached Regts of the 101st MGC and Tyneside Irish ?? Any further help would be much appreciated

Gerard
Old 20-08-17, 01:14 PM

Long shot, if the insignia are on the side - 1/8 Cameronians joined 34 Div in 1918, the Ceronians wore a black plume / hackle.
Old 20-08-17, 01:24 PM

Gerard,

I have looked in Infantry Division Battle Insignia 1917 booklet no inverted black triangle is listed as worn but it may be undocumented. There is a note in the booklet that the chequerboard insignia may only have been worn post hostilities. I am not sure if this applies to helmets but to note 34th Dive became part of the army of occupation in 1919. A few 34th Div helmets have surfaced over the years so possibly souvenirs brought home by demobbing tommies.

all the best Mark