British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-07-17, 01:12 PM

Default Citizens Volunteer Force, Officers Uniform

Could a Forum member point me in the direction of any online photos of the Citizens Volunteer Force. I am interested in officers uniform detail.

Thank you in advance for any time taken to answer this question.

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 04-07-17, 04:13 PM

http://ulster-scots.com/uploads/USCNYCV10.pdf

I hope this link is helpful.
Eddie
Old 04-07-17, 05:32 PM

Hello Eddie.

Many thanks for the download. That is a great piece of work and I am glad to have it.

Now I almost don't want to mention this! It looks like I may have used the title wrong? The Volunteer Civil Force I am looking for uniform details on was a police unit raised in the UK during 1912 and know as 'Winstons Bobbies'. Probably not as interesting as your YCV units!

Once again, many thanks for a great work of reference, and a good read (tonight). Sorry for any confusion!

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 04-07-17, 06:06 PM

Hi,
It was the nearest to your title that I could think of but if it's 'Winston's Bobbies' then Phil2M would probably have more information.
Eddie
Old 04-07-17, 07:40 PM

Cool Civilian Volunteer Force

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=15789

This may help, they also had collar badges as well as headdress badges.

Rob
Old 04-07-17, 09:19 PM

Eddie / Rob.

Many thanks for the heads up. I note that in one posting it states that they wore civilian clothes. I suspect the officers, at least, wore a uniform of some sort.

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 11-07-17, 07:53 PM

Thumbs down VCF

Evening, Just thought the attached photo would be of interest. I'm not sure how typical the uniform is though. An article about the VCF appeared in the PICA magazine (don't know which issue) and then apparently again in the Bulletin of the Military Historical Society (May 1998). According to this article officers war rings with the upper one being an Austrian knot, whereas 'NCOs' wore plain rings. The officer in the photo would be a Platoon Commander or Quartermaster. A rule book from about 1912 describes the uniform as grey with fawn facings and Officers ranks were a mixture of stars with or without a cross depending on rank worn 'on either side of the collar' and NCOs wore chevrons. I don't know if the system changed at some point. The Plymouth unit of the VCF morphed into the local Volunteer Training Corps in 1914/1915 and the rank worn by the chap in the photo resembles that of the VTC.

all best
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VCF officer.jpg (49.8 KB, 33 views)
Old 11-07-17, 09:35 PM

Hello Beaker.

Many thanks for the interesting picture. It is greatly appreciated.

I have a small group of insignia to this unit which includes a set of six officers rank pips. They contain the VCF logo and are blackened. I thought this might indicate a uniform along police lines in the rank of Chief Inspector?

Kind regards, Malcolm.