British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-06-18, 12:58 PM

Default 28th Artist Rifles County of London Solid Brass Collar Badge

I have acquired this badge and cannot find any reference or comparisons to it, I am thinking that it must be quite a rare badge.

It is solid brass with no makers marks on it.

Does anybody have any information about it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3460.jpg (105.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3461.jpg (103.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3462.jpg (112.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3463.jpg (81.8 KB, 17 views)
Old 20-06-18, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Stuff View Post
I have acquired this badge and cannot find any reference or comparisons to it, I am thinking that it must be quite a rare badge.

It is solid brass with no makers marks on it.

Does anybody have any information about it?
As your title and post says it’s a cast 28th Bn (Artists) London Reg collar badge. Probably theatre made in a bazaar. Not as desirable as a British made collar IMHO.
Old 21-06-18, 07:02 AM

Thanks Luke, I will have to do some more digging as the badge is extremely well made certainly doesn't look to have been made in a bazaar but i guess thats possible.
Old 21-06-18, 07:32 AM

My first thought was an OSD collar badge.
Old 21-06-18, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks Luke, I will have to do some more digging as the badge is extremely well made certainly doesn't look to have been made in a bazaar but i guess thats possible.
With all due respect and in no way meant as a criticism, I would be less confident about the quality. From your pics, the apparent casting process has left this badge stippled and pitted on the obverse, with obvious filing marks and more pitted areas to the reverse.

JT
Old 21-06-18, 09:36 AM

I agree with JT. The badge is a poor casting. Pitting and poor definition to Mars and Minerva’s face. From the toning of the loops I believe it is a period piece but from the method of manufacture it could have been made last week in Indian or Pakistan.

These ones show quality and really are well made... https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...9-a539015bf9c4

I see you have it listed for sale already on eBay for £50!!! https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-28th-Ar...8AAOSwukVbK1aR to be frank you’re having a bubble, closer to a fiver I’d say.

Last edited by Luke H; 21-06-18 at 09:44 AM.
Old 21-06-18, 10:06 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
I agree with JT. The badge is a poor casting. Pitting and poor definition to Mars and Minerva’s face. From the toning of the loops I believe it is a period piece but from the method of manufacture it could have been made last week in Indian or Pakistan.

These ones show quality and really are well made... https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...9-a539015bf9c4

I see you have it listed for sale already on eBay for £50!!! https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-28th-Ar...8AAOSwukVbK1aR to be frank you’re having a bubble, closer to a fiver I’d say.
And no prior indication that you intended to use members' knowledge, experience and time as a means of free appraisal for the purposes of selling.

Much appreciated.
Old 21-06-18, 12:42 PM

Solid brass collar badge, solid brass neck as well, 50 quid, you're having a laugh!!.
Old 21-06-18, 01:57 PM

Hi All.

Many thanks for all of your responses, apologies if I have offended anyone with my actions and maybe I should have disclosed that the badge would be sold as I am a dealer not just of badges but many things.

I do hold a genuine interest in military items and I do collect certain things.

As for the price, of course its a flyer I have nothing to compare it to and therefore the price has been set high.

Again apologies if anyone is offended.
Old 21-06-18, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Hi All.

Many thanks for all of your responses, apologies if I have offended anyone with my actions and maybe I should have disclosed that the badge would be sold as I am a dealer not just of badges but many things.

I do hold a genuine interest in military items and I do collect certain things.

As for the price, of course its a flyer I have nothing to compare it to and therefore the price has been set high.

Again apologies if anyone is offended.
The trouble is, the forum has been burned in the past by people using its members to harvest information, and it got people's backs up. Members felt they were being used; that their years of research, study and hard-earned knowledge was being exploited for the financial gain of transient 'members' who had no real interest in badges, regimental/military history or heritage. That is the reason there is a forum rule about disclosing items put up for appraisal that are ultimately intended for sale.

JT

Rules & Regs.jpg
Old 21-06-18, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
The trouble is, the forum has been burned in the past by people using its members to harvest information, and it got people's backs up. Members felt they were being used; that their years of research, study and hard-earned knowledge was being exploited for the financial gain of transient 'members' who had no real interest in badges, regimental/military history or heritage. That is the reason there is a forum rule about disclosing items put up for appraisal that are ultimately intended for sale.

JT
I fully appreciate that now and if i post anything else up in this area full disclosure will be given