British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-06-18, 11:03 PM

Default CAST BADGE – INDIAN POLICE FORCE?

Can any Forum member identify this cast badge. It has been suggested the letters read: BAP. Could be something Armed Police?

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAP BADGE.jpg (42.2 KB, 60 views)
Old 19-06-18, 02:48 AM

Am sure its 'Armed Police' but don't think it's Bombay.

As far as I know there are only badges to Bombay Police (BP), Bombay City Police (BCP) and Bombay District Police (BDP) .. the Bombay police did have an armed police contingent as I have seen medals named to 'Armed Police Constable' in the Bombay District Police but no specific armed unit that had its own distinctive badge.

Might be one of the African protectorates/colonies..?
Old 19-06-18, 03:16 AM

Hi all

That is the hat badge for the Bengal Armed Police.

Regards

Ron
Old 19-06-18, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1A1 View Post
Hi all

That is the hat badge for the Bengal Armed Police.

Regards

Ron
Could you give me a source from which you got this? I would be interested to know as I collect to pre-1947 Indian Police medals/badges but have never seen one. Will do a bit of digging myself.. I have medals named to Calcutta Police and Bengal Police, but never seen one to Bengal Armed Police as a unit...
Old 19-06-18, 08:49 AM

Hello Khyber

When I went to the Kolkata Police Museum last year, they had one on display (Don't know why but they did).

Also, have a look at the lettering of the current West Bengal Armed Police cap badge, very, very similar.

Regards

Ron
Old 19-06-18, 09:08 AM

Hello everyone.

Many thanks for all the help. Greatly appreciated. One thing that I forgot to mention is this badge is quite large. It measures 65mm x 52mm. It has a vertical pin on the reverse that hinged at the bottom of the badge with the catch at the top. It is also slightly dished.

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 19-06-18, 10:31 AM

Thanks for confirming that Ron!
The Kolkata Police Museum is on my list when I visit the city next time. It's been years since I was there..

Calcutta Police badges seem to be really large-sized. I have a lovely helmet badge in excellent condition to the Calcutta Police - huge one about 7 cm x 5 cm.

Most Indian Police badges look similar, unfortunately, letters enclosed within a wreath with the crown on top..

Last edited by Khyber; 19-06-18 at 10:33 AM. Reason: added a line
Old 19-06-18, 12:53 PM

West Bengal Armed Police:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ctureid=115306
Old 19-06-18, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
Post Independence though.
Old 20-06-18, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post

That is an interesting badge Phil, is it in your collection?
Old 20-06-18, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1A1 View Post
That is an interesting badge Phil, is it in your collection?
Thanks. Yes, it is
Old 20-06-18, 12:37 PM

"One thing that I forgot to mention is this badge is quite large. It measures 65mm x 52mm. It has a vertical pin on the reverse that hinged at the bottom of the badge with the catch at the top. It is also slightly dished."

Sounds as if it might be intended for wear on a pagri/turban. I suppose that the Bengal force would have had more than a few Sikhs in it, as it is one of the 'traditional' jobs for them, even apparently in this day and age.

Peter
Old 20-06-18, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyber View Post
Thanks for confirming that Ron!
The Kolkata Police Museum is on my list when I visit the city next time. It's been years since I was there..

Calcutta Police badges seem to be really large-sized. I have a lovely helmet badge in excellent condition to the Calcutta Police - huge one about 7 cm x 5 cm.

Most Indian Police badges look similar, unfortunately, letters enclosed within a wreath with the crown on top..

It is actually quite a good museum. Actually I should say museums as there is a Traffic Police museum and a museum that covers the other branches. Lots of weapons, photos etc. Very well organised too.
Old 20-06-18, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
Post Independence though.
It isn't a current badge as the WBAP no longer have seperate Gurkha batallions. I would be interested to find out what time period this was worn though.
Old 21-06-18, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter monahan View Post
"One thing that I forgot to mention is this badge is quite large. It measures 65mm x 52mm. It has a vertical pin on the reverse that hinged at the bottom of the badge with the catch at the top. It is also slightly dished."

Sounds as if it might be intended for wear on a pagri/turban. I suppose that the Bengal force would have had more than a few Sikhs in it, as it is one of the 'traditional' jobs for them, even apparently in this day and age.

Peter
Peter,
I think you are mixing this up with the Bengal Military Police battalions made up of Sikhs in the Victorian period and slightly later. Some of these became regular infantry regiments most notably the 45 Rattary's Sikhs.

The Bengal Armed Police badge I would guess dates from 1920-30s and thought I think there might have been a few Sikhs my guess is it would be more likely composed of Gurkhas, like the Eastern Frontier Police.

As for the present WBAP I'm quite certain that they're mostly composed of locals as it's a state unit.