British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-09-17, 08:50 PM

Thanks Paul. I was wondering whether to sell the more valuable ones separately. To be honest, it's hard enough having lost my dad - collecting the badges gave him so much pleasure but we didn't realise finding the right way to sell them would be so difficult.
Old 19-09-17, 09:09 PM

Apologies, again.
Old 19-09-17, 09:13 PM

Apologies, I should of offered my condolences on your loss first which I do now.
It's not easy to appraise a badge from pictures and mistakes can be made on deciding originality, sometimes it can be down to the feel of the badge which I think it is best to take them to someone who has a broad knowledge of badges, or have them visit you. That person may be someone local to you from the forum or it may be a dealer/auctioneer, I don't envy your situation and I can understand that you would want to get the best return for all the investment of money and time your Dad has put into his collection. I imagine he got a lot of enjoyment out of his hobby and you may decide to hold on to them for a little while, get to know them a bit better learn the history behind them.
I wish you the best of luck
Paul
Old 19-09-17, 09:22 PM

Thanks Paul.
Dad was ex RAF and very proud of the forces.
I totally agree with you said so I've spent the last two weeks researching the badges as much as I can. I want to do my best for him. Thanks to everyone for your advice and condolences, all very much appreciated.
Old 20-09-17, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
Brian,

I wasn't in anyway questioning you or your post. Sorry for any confusion I caused.

I was responding to Alex. I hadn't realised that there was any expectation, from the forum membership, that you should offer your badges here before you contact any dealers or auctioneers.

Phil
Hi Phil
There is no rule about it but it has often been mentioned in the past, ans as I said, just a courtesy. If you're given a reasonable valuation and somebody here is willing to pay the price, why not offer it here first.
As for the disposal of the collection, it's hard enough trying to sell them so that could make life easier for the seller as well.
Cheers,
Alex