British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-01-11, 10:16 AM

Default Queens Gurkha Signals Pipers Plaid Brooch

Can any member help me please.

I am trying to get hold of a Queens Gurkha Signals Pipers Plaid Brooch as per the one the young lad in the attached photograph is wearing.

I have recently added to my little web site www.signalsbadges.co.uk in the UK section a set of embellishement worn by the Corps of Signals Corps of Pipes and Drums and also a set of Pipers Embellishments for 51st (Highland) Division Signal Regiment.

I would very much like to do the same kind of display for the QGS Pipers and all I now need is the Plaid Brooch. Any help in finding one would be much appreciated.

I have also been fortunate enough to obtain a set of QGS Officer's Cross Belt embellishments that I am going to do the same display with.

Hope someone can help

Best wishes

Chris Walker
Old 10-01-11, 07:40 PM

HI Chris,
The one in your photo is different to mine. I believe that the one with the cairngorm stone is the piper majors. The one I have has a garter strap with flames in the center with the motto 'stand fast'. This is the rank and file one. I'll take a picture and post it when I find the camera.
Either way they are very hard to find, being regt property and accountable.
Best bet is keep an eye on Bosleys.

Steve
Old 11-01-11, 10:31 AM

Default Gurkha Signals Plaid Brooch

Dear Steve.

Thanks for the reply. I have put another photo of a Gurkha Piper with a very similar Plaid Brooch. As the two photos are for Corporal and Lance Corporal I would be surprised if they were Pipe Majors with that rank. Could be wrong.

The two Plaid Brooches are very similar but not the same and just to prove they are different pipers look at the Cross Belts they are different types.

Would appreciate a photo of what you have Steve as to do the display I am thinking of I may have to purchase one that is almost the same off the web.

Thanks again Steve

Best wishes

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50 anv.jpg (60.1 KB, 78 views)
Old 13-01-11, 07:42 PM

Hi Chris,
attached in pic 1, QGS piper showing plaid broach, Pic 2 the plaid broach itself, No indication as to the fact its Gurkha Sigs. Pic 3 Battledress shoulder title worn for Coronation (and after) , Pic 4,Slip on titles malaya, top Royal sigs Gurkha, 1949-54, Gurkha royal Signals 1954-55. I have a royal signals gurkha, mufti cap in the loft, I'll dig it out and photgraph it for you if you havnt seen one interested.

Have you seen 260720210220 on E bay?

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1133696.jpg (36.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg P1133698.jpg (54.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg P1133699.jpg (51.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg P1133700.jpg (65.2 KB, 24 views)
Old 14-01-11, 01:18 PM

Default gurkha sigs plaid brooch

Dear Steve

Very many thanks for the photos. Yet again I am amazed at the number of badges that are out there for the Gurkha Signals. I have seen the hat that you mention many thanks for the thought.

I have justy managed to purchase from a retailer what is the nearest I can get to the Gurkha Sigs Piper in the picture I have posted.

Did not get very far with regards to my phone call to Gurkha Sigs HQ. Was past from one place to another and finally ended up with a Staff Hari who said these things were not available but gave me the telephone number of a Jeweler in Birmingham who I have not yet phoned.

Am currently having great problems in trying to mount a QGS Officers Cross Belt. The chains are the problem. Still, I will get there and put it on the web site.Just in case Steve. I am still looking for a 2 Piece QGS Cap Badge. It does exist as we have proved on the Forum. Just seem very scarse.

Cheers for now

Chris
Old 14-01-11, 09:43 PM

Ah the elusive 2 part cap badge, the last one I saw offered for sale was about 7 years ago from a dealer complete with AA collars, It wasnt expensive but at the time I wasnt bothering with staybright and the brigade support arms were not a major interest. I regret this now. I keep looking. The HQ's are not very forthcoming with information, I think they get plagued with letters and calls. Feel free to use any of the pictures on your site. If you want better ones PM me.
Whats the difficulty with the chains ? They attach to the boss at the top and the whistle in its holder.
regards
Steve
Old 20-02-11, 03:15 PM

Default Can any member help me please.

Dear Chris,
Are you still looking out for the Queen's Gurkha Signals plain brooch badge? Well, I just got a QUEEN'S GURKHA SIGNAL REGIMENT CROSS
BELT badge from the ebay seller : biz328 on the 17/01/2011. biz328 occassionally have some Gurkha items on sale from time to time.
Please look out from this ebay seller. He should be listing them
soon again. Good Luck!!!
GURKHA RIFLES (SINGAPORE)
Old 20-02-11, 05:02 PM

Dear Gurkha Rifles.

Got my Cross Belt Gurkha Sigs Pipers belt from him. Not expensive either.

Still looking for the plaid brooch though

Cheers

Chris
Old 19-11-15, 12:07 PM

Dear Friends.

I originally started this Thread back in 2011 so quite a little while ago now.

The original Thread showed a 1958 photo I think it was of a Gurkha Signals Piper wearing the original Grant Clan Plaid Brooch. Nothing wrong with this and the design changed to the later version.

I have now added a recent photo I have found in colour of a Gurkha Signals Piper once again wearing the Grant Clan Plaid brooch.

As I believe this photo (Attached) was taken in the last couple of years can any member throw any light as to the reason that the old Clan Grant Plaid Brooch is or was being worn??????

I have not seen a 2015 photo of the Gurkha Signals Pipe Band so can not tell what Plaid brooch is being worn.

Would love to know the reason for this Piper wearing the old brooch now.

With my kind regards

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gurkha Signals Plaid Brooch.jpg (50.5 KB, 43 views)
Old 19-11-15, 12:16 PM

Dear Friends.

Just a follow on from the above entry.

Only just noticed that the Piper I show in the above coloured photo is not wearing the Gurkha Signals badge on the cross belt like all the other photos in this Thread.

Perhaps another query!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best wishes

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk
Old 19-11-15, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Chris

I wold guess that they have a finite number of bits of kit and are using old braoches to fill a gap.

As for the missing badge I suspect that is an error or again lack of available badges.

Alan
Old 19-11-15, 04:08 PM

Default Queens Gurkha Signals Plaid Brooch

Dear Alan.

I am inclined to agree with you and a friend of mine namely Billy Wardrope a past Pipe Major of the Royal Corps of Signals Corps of Pipes and Drums has suggested the very same thing.

My only thought is this. Many years ago I tried through the Gurkha Squadrons to get hold of a 1986 version of their Plaid Brooch and was advised that all these pieces of equipment were regimental stores items and had to be signed for by the individual Piper or Drummer and hence returned to store when they had finished with them or were posted to another unit or indeed left the Army.

Hence the reason that I have never seen a Gurkha Signals Plaid Brooch of the 1986 version ever appear on ebay in all my years of collecting. This is the reason I only show a replica on my little web site. I have pleasure is showing both the replica and an original below.

However the shortage of equipment does seems to be a good theory.

Kind regards

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gurkha%20Signals%20Plaid%20Brooch.jpg (120.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Replice Gurkha Sigs Plaid Brooch 001.jpg (69.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 14-09-17, 03:32 PM

Default Grant plaid brooch

I am a piper in the Highlanders of Oklahoma City and wear the Grant tartan.
I am also looking for one of the "Stand Fast" brooches. If you know anyone selling one please let me know. alvinjbrunng@gmail.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg me at St. Patricks Day by Brad-cropped.jpg (43.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 15-09-17, 10:45 AM

Default Piper Grant Plaid Brooch

Dear Alvin.

Welcome to the Forum.

The Grant Plaid Brooch I show on my little web site (www.signalsbadges.co.uk) I obtained back in about 1965 when I was a drummer for the Junior Leaders Regiment Royal Corps of Signals. It was only the Pipers at the time who wore the Kilt and refinements. Us drummers wore a red tunic and britches. You may be able to see this in the photo I attached to the Plaid Brooch entry on the site.

As I have one I have not actually been looking for one Alvin but I think in all my time of collecting I have only ever seen about two for sale.

As you are now a member of the Forum perhaps you might like to put a small request on the site to see if any member has one for sale or can advise you where you may be able to find one.

With my very best wishes

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk