British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-04-17, 02:21 PM

Default Bunch of badges

Hi All,

I have a bunch of badges that were given to me as a child from a military Taylor.

Wondering what they all are and if there is any value?!

I have no idea where to start as I don't know what they are called so can't google or eBay to find out!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5695.jpg (105.7 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5690.jpg (116.5 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5701.jpg (95.3 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5692.jpg (108.8 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5699.jpg (92.9 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5703.jpg (90.1 KB, 77 views)
Old 17-04-17, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Andy, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
To get you started, I believe the first image is a Warrant Officer Class 1 rank badge for the Guards. Second image, several US patches and self explanatory correspondent patches. Third image rank chevrons; black on red are for a rifles regiment. Fourth image a mix of skill at arms and qualification badges. Sniper and marksman, artificer, and the red 1 patch is US, 1 Inf Div. Nazi eagle, wehrmacht I believe. This will get you started.
Old 17-04-17, 03:26 PM

Other than the Nazi badge (if original) the others being modern have very little value. The RSM's badges go for a tenner on ebay.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 17-04-17, 03:34 PM

Some dealers are charging up to about fifty quid for the RSM badge, worn on No.2 dress.

David
Old 17-04-17, 03:50 PM

They can charge a thousand pounds if they like, dont get me started on some of these "Militaria Dealers" websites and their ridiculous prices for common, fake or wrongly described badges, but a QC badge doesnt bring big money in the real world I am afraid. They are both available as official items and Far East manufactures.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 17-04-17, 05:20 PM

Default Cloth badges

I am not quite sure what a military tailor would be doing with Russian badges, perhaps they supplied the embassy?

Rob
Old 17-04-17, 06:42 PM

The Soviet badges are fakes or purpose made for an Opposing Force. I have not seen a plastic British War Correspondents badge before, that does not mean they should not exist.
Trade & Qualification badges are mainly modern Guards type Sniper Rifles + S, Marksman & Weapons Instructor Rifles, Artificer Hammer and Pincers, Anti Tank Gunner and Mortarman. Crown in wreath Army Regimental Quartermaster Sergeant amongst other titles. Most can be found for a few pounds, the large black on red chevrons are for a Guards Athol Grey Great Coat and the white on black on red for the Tunic. German WW2 breast Eagle would be for an Army dress tunic or Officer field tunic £20 upwards.
The last badge is British Army Air Liaison Signals.

I hope that helps.

Marc
Old 17-04-17, 08:56 PM

Many thanks all. I only posted some of them.
I have no idea why he would have had some of these he was in the queens guard. I have a photo of me about age 8 trying to wear his bear skin hat! I can't see why any of them would be fake, how do I know? Someone mentioned it being palstic, none of them are plastic. Material and a couple of what appears to be brass? I have loads more but will sort through these first. Thanks for all the help!
Old 18-04-17, 11:42 AM

After a closer look the British War Correspondent badge is not plastic just very new.

Marc
Old 21-08-17, 02:09 PM

Default Update

Hi All,

Thanks to all who took the time to reply last time. Some RL stuff came along and so I stopped looking in to this but would like to start again.

All the badges I was given were new when I received them, it was around 1982/3. They came direct from a Queens Guard Tailor, I have no reason to believe they were anything other than "spare" rather than purchased for me. I would be interested to know what would be classed as modern? Are these modern?

I also have some more images which I would appreciate help identifying!

Also is there a good place to sell or is e-bay as good as anything?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg badges 5.jpg (101.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg badges 8.jpg (110.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg badges 10.jpg (113.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg badges 12.jpg (114.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 21-08-17, 03:40 PM

Included are a WWII era German officers breast or cap eagle (I'm unsure whether as to its originality) artillery officers (red piping) & infantry officers )white piping) collar patches.
Old 21-08-17, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llcooldl View Post
Hi All,

Thanks to all who took the time to reply last time. Some RL stuff came along and so I stopped looking in to this but would like to start again.

All the badges I was given were new when I received them, it was around 1982/3. They came direct from a Queens Guard Tailor, I have no reason to believe they were anything other than "spare" rather than purchased for me. I would be interested to know what would be classed as modern? Are these modern?

I also have some more images which I would appreciate help identifying!

Also is there a good place to sell or is e-bay as good as anything?
As people on here have taken the time and trouble to identify many of your items for you it would be nice if you were to offer them on this site first. Only polite really considering all the effort they have saved you. It is free to sell on here anyway, ebay/PayPal will charge you!
Old 21-08-17, 06:49 PM

I'd be interested in the Guards WO1 badge, if its a tenner.
Andy
Old 22-08-17, 09:38 AM

Default For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribyn View Post
As people on here have taken the time and trouble to identify many of your items for you it would be nice if you were to offer them on this site first. Only polite really considering all the effort they have saved you. It is free to sell on here anyway, ebay/PayPal will charge you!
I had no idea that was a possibility and will most definitely be my first port of call. I know these badges to be genuine and would rather someone with a real interest have them than they sit in my cupboard for another 30 years!

The non-uk ones are a real head scratcher, especially the nazi one. Having asked family members I'm told the military were having a clear out of just about everything in the 80s and the tailor jgave these to me rather than putting them in the bin (my uncle bought 6 1960s land-rover defenders around the same time!). Could they be replicas made by the British forces?