British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-07-17, 03:05 PM

Default R.N.D Nelson (staight letter "N") cap badge

Hi Gents,
Opinions wanted on this Nelson cap badge with the straight letter "N" variant.
As you can see it does have a Gaunt London tablet and in my opinion is a high quality badge - I think it's genuine.
Your opinions welcomed.
Many Thanks
Colin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_2358.jpg (39.6 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 101_2359.jpg (41.4 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 101_2360.jpg (47.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 31-07-17, 07:15 PM

Hi Claires collectables,
Yes, apologies for the poor picture the badge is a lot better than it looks in my photo.
I am playing devils advocate here. Yes I agree Paddy's badge does look superb.
I have trawled through all the Websites of all the esteemed sellers and found very little of the R.N.D Nelson cap badge for sale anywhere.
There are plenty of Katie Price badges for sure on e bay, with a slanted "N" made from many different dies.

I would like to say for the record I am no expert with R.N.D badges.

The variant with the straight letter "N" does intrigue though me as there are so few to be found.
Fakers are very clever but surely even though must dumb ass faker would spot the difference from a slanted "n" to a straight one when creating a fake die?
Just food for thought, but if we were all to go by the size of boobs on a cap badge maybe we would have to chuck all our U.D.R badges in the bin.
Colin.
Old 31-07-17, 09:17 PM

Colin

If you look into the 2nd page of my RND album you will see another Nelson badge which I believe is the same as yours (with the straight N). My straight N version does not have a Gaunt plate on it and I agree with CC that the plate on yours is wrong. Added to that I do not believe your badge was made from a Gaunt die. I have attached a picture of both my Gaunt & straight N badges side by side, you will see that the left hand badge which is Gaunt marked s a much better quality than the right hand version. The planks on the sides of the Gaunt badge are curved whereas those on the other badge are pretty straight. The Nelson tablet has much finer detail in the seeding and top left & right corners on the Gaunt badge. As I said in my album, I think this straight N version is better than most fakes but I am unconvinced as to whether it is right or wrong, I am more inclined to say wrong but am still holding on to it all the same. I would say though that it is not Gaunt and the plate on yours has probably been put on there to help increase the price.

Paddy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nelson Battalion.jpg (80.3 KB, 48 views)
Old 31-07-17, 09:58 PM

Hi Paddy,
Thanks for your comments on this interesting thread. On closer inspection of my badge it is a slightly different die than your straight letter "N" one.
For one the pennant on the top of the mast is fully cut out and the style of writing on the tablet is very slightly different.

All though it has no provenance I did buy the badge in a job lot of other genuine WW1 badges from the U.S.A. which made me very hopeful.
Like you Paddy I will hold on to this badge all the same just in case!

Out of interest there is currently a straight letter "N" (bit like yours) currently on E Bay up for £90 odd quid. I have no connection with the seller by the way folks!
Thanks Paddy and C.C for your opinions.
Colin

Last edited by ukbrits; 31-07-17 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-08-17, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...raight&page=12

Worth a read.