British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-01-18, 05:16 PM

Default County of Stafford, Red Cross Society badge

We often see the standard British Red Cross Society cap badge with the "INTER ARMA CARITAS" bottom scrolls.

This one is a little different with "COUNTY OF 32 STAFFORD" bottom scrolls added on as a separate piece. It looks like it had blade/folding tang fasteners at one time, which have been superseded by wire loops.

My questions are:

1. is there a variety of similar Red Cross badges for different Counties and Districts?

2. what would be the approximate usage dates of this badge?

Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Best wishes to all,

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NRK.jpg (64.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg nrl.jpg (35.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 02-01-18, 05:26 PM

Hi Tim,
I stand corrected but it is my understanding that these RC county badges are of WWI origin and the standard 'Inter Arma Caritas' been of WWII period

Steven
Old 02-01-18, 05:32 PM

I am sure I have a county of Stafford badge but minus the number un able to check at the moment though.

Regards

Steve
Old 02-01-18, 05:33 PM

Ahoy Steven!

Many thanks. This is very helpful.

Now, I have to resist the temptation of chasing after all the varieties! I should imagine that there would be a great many of them.

all the best,

Tim
Old 02-01-18, 07:01 PM

Hello,

I have collected named and numbered BRCS cap badges for a while and have attached a few different examples for your interest.

They can be found with most British County designations, some with numbers and some without.

Other titles can be found on the bottom scrolls and the Scottish ones in particular have a single bottom scroll a lot of the time.

They can be found both enamelled and unenamelled and with rear horizontal pins, blades or loops.

A very interesting collecting field that extends also to a multitude of Metal County shoulder titles and Enamelled County breast badges and more besides.

regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BRCS1.jpg (69.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg BRCS2.jpg (59.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg BRCS3.jpg (78.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg BRCS4.jpg (83.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg BRCS5.jpg (64.4 KB, 21 views)

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 02-01-18, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Hello,

I have collected named and numbered BRCS cap badges for a while and have attached a few different examples for your interest.

They can be found with most British County designations, some with numbers and some without.

Other titles can be found on the bottom scrolls and the Scottish ones in particular have a single bottom scroll a lot of the time.

They can be found both enamelled and unenamelled and with rear horizontal pins, blades or loops.

A very interesting collecting field that extends also to a multitude of Metal County shoulder titles and Enamelled County breast badges and more besides.

regards
That's a nice selection, Simon. Thanks for showing. I have a "County of Cambridge" with no number.
Cheers, Tinto
Old 05-01-18, 02:25 AM

Thank you Simon and Tinto,

I especially appreciated seeing the wide diversity in those badges. Theya re lovely and very well made

I currently have only the one numbered/county version. What could possibly go wrong with finding a few other variations to go along with it? (Walk away from the edge!) What are these competing voices in my head? I suspect that I am not alone...!

best to all,

Tim

Tags
32 stafford, red cross