British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-10-17, 04:14 PM

Default Royal Jersey embroidered badge

Hi All

I have had this badge in for many years and have always kept it as I have a number of relations from the Channel Islands. Its not my area of collecting but like most people I do have lots of odd insignia.

Can anyone help me with the period of the badge or its history? I am presuming its Royal Jersy Light Infantry by the bugle. It is a very nicely embroidered piece so I am presuming its an officers and possibly for a dress uniform tunic.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Arnhem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg royal jersey badge_NEW.jpg (30.7 KB, 43 views)
Old 08-10-17, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnhem2280 View Post
Hi All

I have had this badge in for many years and have always kept it as I have a number of relations from the Channel Islands. Its not my area of collecting but like most people I do have lots of odd insignia.

Can anyone help me with the period of the badge or its history? I am presuming its Royal Jersy Light Infantry by the bugle. It is a very nicely embroidered piece so I am presuming its an officers and possibly for a dress uniform tunic.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Arnhem
It depends upon the size of the badge, Arnhem. A large size was worn on the round forage cap 1880-1902. If smaller it might be for the replacement cap available for purchase from outfitters circa 1900. The same style forage cap as is used today. The smaller size made officers bullion badges more difficult to (hand) work and most (but not all) units adopted gilt and silvered metal badges instead.
Old 08-10-17, 05:01 PM

Default Royal Jersey embroidered badge

Hi Toby

Thanks for the information the badge is roughly 1.25 inches long on each of the three sides so I am guessing possibly a collar badge as opposed to cap badge.

As it must have been a fairly small Regiment I am guessing that not many of them were made, would that be correct ?

Cheers

Arnhem
Old 08-10-17, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnhem2280 View Post
Hi Toby

Thanks for the information the badge is roughly 1.25 inches long on each of the three sides so I am guessing possibly a collar badge as opposed to cap badge.

As it must have been a fairly small Regiment I am guessing that not many of them were made, would that be correct ?

Cheers

Arnhem
Yes they were small, both Jersey and Guernsey had similar light infantry militia regiments, with Jersey’s the largest. They could be collar badges from roll collar mess kit circa 1904. There would indeed have been few of such badges made.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 09-10-17 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-10-17, 07:58 AM

Default Jersey collar

It is indeed a Mess kit collar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D891EB78-BED2-46DC-8B04-F7D21DD9E5AF.jpg (34.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 12-10-17, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
Yes they were small, both Jersey and Guernsey had similar light infantry militia regiments, with Jersey’s the largest. They could be collar badges from roll collar mess kit circa 1904. There would indeed have been few of such badges made.
So did Alderney,the collar badges are virually the same as the Light Infantry cross belt badge except there is an internal scroll reading "Royal Alderney Militia" under the bugle horn.
Old 12-10-17, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
So did Alderney,the collar badges are virually the same as the Light Infantry cross belt badge except there is an internal scroll reading "Royal Alderney Militia" under the bugle horn.
That’s interesting, Mike. The Jersey and Guernsey Light Infantry regiments appeared in the Army List along with the West Indian Regiment, circa 1881. Had the Alderney unit been absorbed?
Old 12-10-17, 01:50 PM

Default Alderney collars

The Alderney collars described are QC pattern used only by the Army Cadet Force. Made in WM and Anodised. By the late 1880's The Alderney Militia consisted of Artillery and Engineers only, the Light Infantry had been disbanded
Old 12-10-17, 02:28 PM

I dont know when the Artillery and Engineers went. But the ACF were reerected by a former SAS officers. Unfortunately,due to lack of numbers they have been placed in suspended animation again. All their stores were apparently shipped lock,stock and barrel back to the mainland .
Old 12-10-17, 03:34 PM

Default Alderney ACF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
I dont know when the Artillery and Engineers went. But the ACF were reerected by a former SAS officers. Unfortunately,due to lack of numbers they have been placed in suspended animation again. All their stores were apparently shipped lock,stock and barrel back to the mainland .
It wasn't lack of numbers, there was some disagreements over live fire exercises and other things with Dorset ACF when they took over the running of the Alderney ACF after Colonel Walter retired.

Its a shame because it will be very difficult to set it all up again. Jersey & Guernsey ACF's are both still going though. Jersey wears the Jersey Field Squadron badge and Guernsey is now re-badged as the RGLI.
Old 12-10-17, 03:38 PM

Default Alderney

The Royal Alderney Militia was 'suspended' in 1929. Colonel Walter formed the ACF in 1984, all the Cap, beret and collar badges date from then.

see link to my webpages

http://www.jerseymilitia.co.uk/aldmilitialink.html

http://www.jerseymilitia.co.uk/cadetpics3.html

Last edited by jermil; 12-10-17 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-10-17, 03:52 PM

Thank you all for the clarification.
Old 12-10-17, 03:54 PM

Jermil,
intersting links thank you.

I have the anodised collars for the ACF and 3 versions of the cap badge - all gold, all silver and the two tone (silver strap on the gold star).

I take it either the all gold or all silver is an error?

thanks

Bess
Old 12-10-17, 05:14 PM

Default Alderney

The all gold was the only anodised beret badge actually issued, the all silver and silver/ gold anodised were never issued, although if the unit was still going they probably would have used the silver/ gold one.

One of the other ‘differences of opinion’ was that Dorset was insisting that Alderney rebadged to The Rifles beret Badge.
Old 12-10-17, 05:29 PM

So are Guernsey ACF badged to the Rifles ?
The bugle journal doesnt mention it as an affliated county .