British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-03-17, 12:53 PM

Default Unusual ATC lapel badge

I have just obtained a non-standard Air Training Corps lapel badge which seems unusual to me.

It is of the standard type, has a crowned top and is made by Gaunt of London. It has the 2 lug fitting to the rear which is normal for this kind of badge.

Some time ago someone sent me images of a similar badge to ask if I had seen one before, and if so, did I know of its use.

I hadn't seen one and could only hazard a guess it may have been a trial badge that was not adopted.

If anyone has any answers about this badge I would be very grateful.

The images posted show this badge alongside a normal type.

Regards
Old 28-12-17, 07:10 AM

Original ATC cadet cap badge?
Old 28-12-17, 04:32 PM

The only pictures I've seen of those badges are enameled.
David
Old 29-12-17, 08:35 AM

These are my examples...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 26 ATC instructor gilt#.jpg (68.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 27 ATC civilian instructor gilt#.jpg (68.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 28 ATC Welfare gilt#.jpg (66.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 29 ATC CHAPLIN silver-gilt#.jpg (61.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 30 ATC wm-enamel#.jpg (64.2 KB, 22 views)

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 15-01-18, 04:30 AM

The gilt ATC lapel badges with astral crowns were worn for a brief time by RAFVR officers (Training branch, serving with the ATC) in the immediate post-war period up until 1947..

Prior to this, 1941-45, the full-height standard 'VR' lapel badges were worn, with an additional oval cloth 'ATC' cuff-badge worn above the rank-braid. (Before this, ADCC officers had wore silver 'C's on the lapels of their adapted No1 HSD, to indicate Cadet officer status)

From 1947 to 2017, the familiar 'VRT' lapel badges were worn, in decreasing order of size (mirroring the size reductions over time for RAuxAF and RAFVR 'A's and 'VR's).

These have now been replaced by brand-new 'RAFAC' collar titles, within the last month-and-a-half....or will be, once supplies reach the affected Cadet Forces personnel.
Old 15-01-18, 08:04 PM
Banned

With the ATC formed in 1941, officers serving within it became members of the RAFVR and as such wore the 'VR' collar badge as you say (along with the circular cloth ATC patch as a distinguishing badge above the rank lace).

However the next point is a little inaccurate. I have copies of the dress regulations for the ATC as they were issued through the war and they confirm the circular ATC specific (and uncrowned) collar badge was introduced in 1944 (around April if memory serves) , which was retained until the changeover to the VRT collars in 1947. Use of the circular uncrowned collar badge during the last year of the war is also confirmed by dated photos and a tunic I have.

The crowned version I've never seen anywhere else then here and am baffled as to its use. However one thought is a foreign ATC unit (even though it's British made), the Rhodesian ATC having an identical cap badge to the Brits, as did the Indian ATC albeit with the addition 'Indian' to 'Air Training Corps'. Although the IATC had an almost identical shoulder badge too I have few other details of uniform.