British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-10-17, 02:31 PM

Default RMLI Provost

Does anyone know if the White Metal RMLI Provost badge ever actually existed?

Have seen many of these in white metal but generally they have been very thin, almost tin like. This one is as thick if not thicker than RM Police and KC cap badges. It does however look pristine for a 100 year old badge - if it did actually exist.

Normally referred to as a RMLI badge in white metal but have seen two references as RMLI Provost badge, however they were both when badges were advertised for sale.

It would perhaps make sense as an inspiration for the later RMP white metal badges but I have severe doubts, especially as I cannot find any mention in John's book

Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6100.jpg (94.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6102.jpg (104.7 KB, 36 views)
Old 08-10-17, 05:45 PM

Hi Ray
I have very limited knowledge of RM badges, most from this forum so my opinion is purely 'opinion'. I don't like that badge at all. The detail is terrible, the join between the bugle and the globe is horrible compared to a genuine RMLI badge, and it is so light that the stamping has left a hole in the globe by the look of it. Either a bad fake or a fantasy badge IMHO.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 08-10-17, 06:35 PM

Default Not a hole

Evening Alex
It isn't a hole but a sharp shadow. The badge isn't light or thin but I take your point on the join of the horn.
The inside of the globe is stamped with clear detail but there is a silvery overlay in there, as if poorly administered coating and in fact it is that causing the shadow that looks like a hole
I don't think it is an original badge even though a lot better than the tinny ones I have seen.
I am still interested to know if the badge ever existed though if there is a definitive answer out there
Ray
Old 08-10-17, 08:42 PM

Hi Ray,
These are fakes.
RMP badges as you know where white metal but RM provost cap badges just don't exist - RM provosts wore wristlets and armbands. I had thought that these were in the book but skimming it quickly can't find them and fear they may have been missed out.

I'm back home in a couple of weeks and will try and dig out the images that show the variety of wristlets they wore,

Yours
John

Last edited by 1664; 08-10-17 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-10-17, 11:40 AM

Hi Ray
Sorry, I could have sworn it was a hole. I suppose some of the detail has also been lost from reflection with the photograph, but still don't like it.
Looks like John might have a definitive answer though, anyway.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 09-10-17, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

I fear that this is a fantasy design. RM collar badges in w/m were worn by the Dockyard Police (who recruited time-served Marines).
Old 09-10-17, 03:59 PM

I seem to recall that the 'RMLI Cadets Marching Band', based somewhere in the Gosport area wore a very similar cap-badge.
Old 09-10-17, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunray9 View Post
I seem to recall that the 'RMLI Cadets Marching Band', based somewhere in the Gosport area wore a very similar cap-badge.
Its in gold anodised aluminium, I thought?
Old 09-10-17, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Yes the Cadet band was gold a/a
Old 09-10-17, 06:09 PM

John

Are these any use before you get home. Were these all worn by RMP & RM Provost and are there any missing?

Paddy
Old 09-10-17, 07:35 PM

Default Scrap bin then

Thanks for the confirmation John. I will have to take comfort in the knowledge that I have one of the better fantasy badges as it sails into the scrap drawer
Ray
Old 09-10-17, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
John

Are these any use before you get home. Were these all worn by RMP & RM Provost and are there any missing?

Paddy
Paddy,
Nice collection, yes I think all of these were worn by Marines, the RMP red on blue is interesting and I suspect doesn't stand for the obvious unless it is very early, but it looks WW2 to me.

Couple of earlier ones missing including GMP. The regulations for these badges are surprisingly complete but scattered among dress regs, AIs RMI and RMROs, I will dig out the references that I have when I get back,
Yours
John
Old 09-10-17, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray6930 View Post
Thanks for the confirmation John. I will have to take comfort in the knowledge that I have one of the better fantasy badges as it sails into the scrap drawer
Ray
Ray,
I have a similar drawer...
John
Old 09-10-17, 08:12 PM

John

I bought the red on blue RMP one because I believed it looked very similar to the one worn on page 194 of your book. Or do you have an idea of what that one looks like and what colours it would have been.

Paddy
Old 09-10-17, 08:25 PM

Paddy,
Is it the same size as the on duty badge, wristlets are usually thinner than arm bands, I had assumed this was an arm band. I THINK your RMP is regimental military provost, which I THINK was worn by Marines during WW2 - but need to check my notes.

On p235 of the book there are pictures of other wristlets, GMP and DMP. Have also seen a photo from the 1880s with GMP embroidered directly onto the cuff.

Yours
John