British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-10-14, 02:46 PM

Default RN QVC cap badge

Hi All
I recently (finally) acquired a QVC officer's cap badge for my RN badge collection. Although I have no problem with the badge, I was a bit taken back by the size of it! I was expecting something along the size of a WWI vintage badge but it is tiny in comparison to the post-1902 cap badges. I've photographed it here alongside a standard WWII vintage cap badge and a post-1952 beret badge. Is this a standard size for the QVC badge or was there a large variation in sizes for these badges? When was the size standardized by regulations, or was it?
Thanks in advance. Cheers,
Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0272.jpg (57.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0273.jpg (39.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0277.jpg (89.5 KB, 79 views)
Old 10-10-14, 03:20 PM

Default RN QVC cap badge

Hi Alex

I think there was quite a bit of variation in size in cap badges during this period but I don't think I've seen one that small before! Could it possibly be for a cadet or midshipman? I have several Victorian belt plates issued for cadets/midshipmen and they are much smaller than those issued to other officers. Many of these would not have been much more than boys and perhaps an adults badge would simply have been too big for a boys cap. The difference in size in belt plates (which are exactly the same design - just smaller) shows that smaller sizes of insignia were produced for the young cadets. Just a suggestion!

Pete
Old 10-10-14, 05:02 PM

Hi Pete
That is news to me about the smaller size badges, but it makes a lot of sense with the really young cadets & middy's being recruited in the 1800's. I would be quite happy if that is the case!
Thanks for the information.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 10-10-14, 05:42 PM

NICE Alex!

My QV Cap badge is also small.

From the photos of Mids & Officers in the Navy & Army Illustrated it appears as if the sizes are the same,

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VR offcr cap b.jpg (105.7 KB, 30 views)
Old 11-10-14, 05:12 AM

Hi Alex,
Great to hear you finally got one. I had a very nice one years ago and in a moment of madness cleared out all my badges to a fellow collector including the Victorian navy officers badge. It had an A and D on either side of the anchor and was also of the same size as your badge. All the ones I have ever seen including in pictures have been of this smaller stature.

Steven
Old 11-10-14, 06:00 AM

Hi Bryan & Steven
Thanks for the replies, I'm happy with mine whatever the size.

Steven - Pity you got rid of yours. I think the AD was Admiralty Dockyards, so that would have been a rare one ...

Cheers,
Alex
Old 11-10-14, 06:09 AM

Hi Alex
Yours looks the same size as mine. Will try dig it out and get a pic for u
BC
Old 13-10-14, 11:22 AM

There are photographs of Victorian Officer's wearing a smaller crown to the hat, often called a forage cap. This would account for the smaller badge.
Old 13-10-14, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royston View Post
There are photographs of Victorian Officer's wearing a smaller crown to the hat, often called a forage cap. This would account for the smaller badge.
Hi Royston
Are there any photos online and if so, can you give us a link to them, that would be very helpful.
Thanks, cheers,
Alex
Old 17-10-14, 10:27 PM

Hi Alex

I will have a "dig around" have seen photo's in the past.

John
Old 18-10-14, 08:32 AM

Alex

Item from Bosley's Auctions July 2009. Badge states Forage Cap The badge sold for £198.00
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RN Forage Cap Badge.jpg (42.2 KB, 46 views)
Old 26-11-14, 07:14 PM

Default Victorian officers Naval hatbadge

Greetings everyone, it never ceased to amaze me that we have always had a huge navy and ruled the waves for a very long time so how come is it so difficult to get hold of a Victorian hatbadge ? I've enclosed a shot of some of my naval hatbadges I have picked up over time, thought they might be of interest to fellow collectors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (92.3 KB, 72 views)
Old 26-11-14, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmed View Post
Hi Alex,
... I had a very nice one years ago and in a moment of madness cleared out all my badges to a fellow collector including the Victorian navy officers badge. It had an A and D on either side of the anchor and was also of the same size as your badge. ...
Steven
Attached is an unidentified button with KC and gothic letters A D. An older version with a QVC is known to exist.
Collectors have named it "Auxiliary Division" but I found no evidence. I have tried to link it to "Alexandra Docks Hospital" but again no proof.
Does anyone know who used this badge and button?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KC_AD.jpg (32.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 26-11-14, 10:37 PM

Admiralty Division?

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 26-11-14, 11:57 PM

Default RN QVC cap badge

Hi everyone

Re the AD buttons. I have been told that the AD stood for either 'Admiralty Dredging (Service)' or 'Admiralty (Works) Department'. Never been given any evidence either way but since the Admiralty Dredging Service did actually exist as a separate organisation until about 1950 (I will check later and confirm the dates) my money has always been on that option. I can't really imagine the Works Department needing a special button! I know that I have never seen a Queen's Crown AD button other than a VQC, which fits in with it being for the Admiralty Dredging Service.

Pete