British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-07-16, 06:57 AM

Default Rifles and R Warwickshire Regt cap badges

Hi, new member today - joined the forum in the hope of getting some expert advice on some WW1 cap badges I'm after.

I'm currently in Ypres on a trip visiting the graves of two relatives; my great-grandfather, a L Cpl in 3 Bn Rifle Brigade, killed in Oct 1914 and my partner's great grandfather, a Sjt in 2/6 Royal Warwicks, killed in Jun 1916.

I would like to try and source a genuine, period cap badge of both their regiments and would be very grateful of any advice/direction the forum could offer.

I'm an RAF ex-regular (now reservist) and used to collect Staybrite army cap badges as a youngster so am not a complete novice however there do seem to be a lot of fakes around and I'd rather not get suckered in! I know the Rifle Brigade badge changed the wording to "The Rifle Brigade" around 1921 but I know nothing about the Warwicks badge and how to identify a WW1 era badge - if that is indeed possible.

I've had a mooch around the usual suspects in Ypres and have seen examples of both badges priced up to €25-30. I just don't want to get mugged off in a tourist trap!

Thanks very much
Old 02-07-16, 10:40 AM

Smile Royal Warwickshire Regt

As far as I am aware the Royal Warwickshire Regt had the same cap badge throughout it's existence up until it was amalgamated, not a difficult badge to find with a slider as would have been worn during the Great War, best of luck finding one.

Rob
Old 02-07-16, 11:37 AM

Here you go mate always happy to help the 'Crabs'

This is the badge that you want for the Rifle Brigade, sealed in 1905 and worn from around 1910.

Good luck, you should be able to find one easily enough for £10-15

Regards

Ry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03046.jpg (67.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03051.jpg (61.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 02-07-16, 01:07 PM

As you say- its a tourist trap. Search the forum-view pictures, search ebay. As its just a couple of common badges you are after I don't think anyone would mind you posting ebay item links on here for opinion. I would say £5 each if you are lucky but not much over £10 if not. Regards, Paul. PS- I have a distant cousin on the Menin Gate- Theodore Laing, London Scottish-31Oct-1st Nov 1914.

Last edited by wardog; 02-07-16 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-07-16, 08:09 PM

Thanks gents - much appreciated! Have already had a couple of PMs steering me in the right direction which is great. Thank you all for such quick responses.

Just back home after a 6hr journey from Flanders where I was able to take older family members - along with our 11 and 13 yr olds - along the trench lines (using period trench maps) and to pretty much pinpoint exactly where their ancestor was fatally wounded 100 years ago to the day. Much of his effects (including medals) have been lost over the years so I think a cap badge from the time will help add to his story.

Thanks again guys.
Old 08-07-16, 06:15 PM

Default Hi

Have these badges I believe them to be OK but would ask members to verify for me.
Arty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rifle brigade.jpg (81.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg rifle brigade b.jpg (79.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg warwicks f.jpg (49.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg warwicks b.jpg (45.2 KB, 20 views)
Old 08-07-16, 07:19 PM

Hello Arty,

The Rifle Brigade badge that you show is of the type worn in WW2, known to collectors as KK2019 (pattern sealed 1927) so a bit late for the purposes of this thread.

It may be an original badge but I note the two flaws below the Macedonia honours which would put me off if I were in the market and this badge was offered, it could be just a Friday afternoon badge of course but there are many nicer examples to be found.

kind regards.

Ry
Old 11-07-16, 12:14 PM

Hi Charlie
Thanks for the info on the Rifle Brigade badge both points you made very welcome.
Arty