British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-07-16, 02:23 PM

Default Unknown Buttons

Hey

So I've tried to find something on these buttons but all i can find out is the left one is an artillery button and the other ones letters might be ERC

If anyone can help that would be great
Thanks yall

T

And thye might be for sale at some point
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1344.jpg (34.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1347.jpg (40.6 KB, 20 views)
Old 23-07-16, 03:39 PM

Hello Tara

Button on the left is an early artillery button for the Indian Army, Bengal, Madras or Bombay. I will check which but it dates to about the 1850s because of the 'Kemp' in the backmark.

The other button is a police button, East Riding of Yorkshire.

Roger
Old 23-07-16, 05:09 PM

Default Button

Hi Tara, The second button, East Riding Constabulary, hope this will be of help.
Harry.
Old 24-07-16, 12:30 AM

I believe the first button is artillery of "The Honourable East India Co". To my knowledge, the Bengal, Bombay and Madras Artilleries all have their name on the button. (I only wrote "I believe"). Regards, David J.
Old 24-07-16, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artynut View Post
I believe the first button is artillery of "The Honourable East India Co". To my knowledge, the Bengal, Bombay and Madras Artilleries all have their name on the button. (I only wrote "I believe"). Regards, David J.
Hello David

You are probably quite right. I have been unable to find this button in Col. Poulsom's books on Indian Army buttons. As you said, most of those he shows as being specifically for Bengal, Bombay or Madras artillery units do have those names on the buttons. Some do just have 'Native Artillery' and these would seem to be a general pattern.

I would think then that Tara's button is another general pattern used by the HEIC.

The use of the wreath and the French scroll and date almost certainly means that it is Indian, unless anyone else has a view.

Regards
Roger