British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-09-11, 02:17 PM

Default 7th Queens Own Hussars - looking for reassurance!

Hi guys - first post on the forum...

I'm a long-time miltaria collector - over thirty years - and, I guess like many, during that time, I've accumulated a lot of 'bits' - stuff that sits in the bottom of a box and never sees the light of day again!
Well, I started to go through some of those bits today and have come across the following badge.

Now, I'm 'fairly confident' that its an original badge - I don't tend to buy badges as such so it probably came to me through an individual. Anyway, I'd REALLY appreciate the opinion of some of the forum members who are far more experienced and knowledgeable than I.

I believe it to be an officers cap badge of the 7th Queens Own Hussars - the white metal cypher is a little rubbed, highlights are in brass and the background is blackened. I have also shown a photograph of the back of the badge - of pressed metal with two lugs.

I really would appreciate any information guys - good or bad and, if possible, an estimate of price. Having a look at the amount of 'bits' in the box I'm thinking about selling them on to refill the box with new bits!!

Thanks in anticipation.

Shawn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (53.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (65.9 KB, 55 views)
Old 16-09-11, 03:55 PM
Former Member

Shawn,
sorry to "P*** on your chips" as they say, but your badge is a common copy of a Victorian Other Ranks cap badge and has been aged by deceit rather than use!

The style of the crown (loops, jewels & upper orb) is wrong, the font far too thin and modern, the seeding to the circlet not fine enough, there are no sweat holes and the lugs are typical of those found on fakes!

Here's a good example which should highlight the above points! Your badge is worth £3-5. Had it been genuine it would be nearer £100.

Sorry!

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1001 (2).jpg (76.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1002 (2).jpg (95.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1003 (2).jpg (98.6 KB, 43 views)
Old 16-09-11, 04:15 PM

Hey don't apologise Andy! Thanks for pointing it out! It saved me looking a numpty by putting up for sale!

That's the great thing we these forums (I belong to a number - ranging from paper models to the Great War), the knowledge held by their members is just incomparable. Thanks again!
Old 16-09-11, 04:20 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimacombe View Post
Hey don't apologise Andy! Thanks for pointing it out! It saved me looking a numpty by putting up for sale!

That's the great thing we these forums (I belong to a number - ranging from paper models to the Great War), the knowledge held by their members is just incomparable. Thanks again!
Shawn,

not a problem, by all means wait for a second opinion but I'm fairly confident about my reply!

Best regards - Andy