British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-09-11, 06:49 PM

Default Royal Dragoon Guards Enamel badge is it ok?

Hi
I saw this badge today in a junk shop and couldn't make my mind up whether to buy it or not. It had Firmin marked on the back and I wasn't sure about the quality of the enamiling. I decided to buy it and take the gamble it maybe ok. I would welcome any opinions on whether I made the right decision to buy it or not?

Thanks

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RDG.jpg (29.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg RDG1.jpg (33.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg RDG2.jpg (31.3 KB, 47 views)
Old 13-09-11, 07:12 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffrocks View Post
Hi
I saw this badge today in a junk shop and couldn't make my mind up whether to buy it or not. It had Firmin marked on the back and I wasn't sure about the quality of the enamiling. I decided to buy it and take the gamble it maybe ok. I would welcome any opinions on whether I made the right decision to buy it or not?

Thanks

Rob
Rob, it's 100% OK, but alas rather damaged.. It's the current "All Ranks" Cap badge!

Andy
Old 13-09-11, 07:14 PM

Rob I have one that looks the same, though the lugs are intact and the two studs have nuts attached !
cheers Tony.
Old 13-09-11, 07:31 PM

Hi Andy and Tony
Thanks so much for confirming the badge is ok, I shall put it on one side for a trip to Tamworth as I think it deserves a repair.
At least this one is ok unlike the SAS one I picked up on Sunday.

Rob
Old 14-09-11, 01:27 AM

I agree (for whatever that is worth) - a good badge.

Keep these MBT regiments, with world economies going the way they are armoured units (being quite expensive) are probably up for disbandment or amalgamation in the near future. The regiments covered in Peter Seaman's wonderful book "For Hostilities Only" may well be replicated in our era , making them quite collectable in the future.

John

I have no connection with nor nothing to benefit from recommending Peter's book. But it is a great book.

Last edited by John Mulcahy; 14-09-11 at 01:35 AM. Reason: added "but it is a great book"
Old 17-09-11, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mulcahy View Post
I agree (for whatever that is worth) - a good badge.

Keep these MBT regiments, with world economies going the way they are armoured units (being quite expensive) are probably up for disbandment or amalgamation in the near future. The regiments covered in Peter Seaman's wonderful book "For Hostilities Only" may well be replicated in our era , making them quite collectable in the future.

John

I have no connection with nor nothing to benefit from recommending Peter's book. But it is a great book.
Hi John
Thanks for your thoughts and I am glad I'm not the only one who thinks these badges are worth the repair. I shall have to look out for the book.

Best wishes

Rob