British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-09-11, 10:13 PM

Default Liverpool scottish

hi,i bought this badge a few years ago.Is it a good or is it a repro?Ive come across two part badge recently wh look better quality than this one.Thats whats making me think it maybee a repro.tommy t bag

Old 10-09-11, 11:08 PM

Badge is spot on single strike issue, nothing wrong with it
Old 11-09-11, 06:47 AM

In a number of badge books the two piece example of this badge is described as the Sergeants issue. If the was the case the battalion would have consisted of mainly sergeants and officers.

In a letter to me dated 25/9/01 the regimental hon curator describes the one piece badge as a " wartime economy pattern"

P.B.

Nice to see Pressguard posting again

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 11-09-11, 06:47 AM

The one piece versions are post 1st WW, The idea that two piece versions are for NCO's is nonsense, it is a chronological issue.

You beat me to it 8th, but I don't believe that this version was a wartime one.
Old 11-09-11, 07:00 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
The one piece versions are post 1st WW, The idea that two piece versions are for NCO's is nonsense, it is a chronological issue.

You beat me to it 8th, but I don't believe that this version was a wartime one.
Peter and Julian,

not wanting to tread on the toes of the Forums KLR gurus.. all I would say is the splayed foot type wire loops/lugs are an early type of fitting and are often found on WW1 era badges and earlier!

Best regards

Andy

P.s. I agree that Tommy's badge is 100% genuine!
Old 11-09-11, 07:27 AM

Julian,

I will ask D.R. why he thinks the single piece badge is an economy issue next time I am in touch with him and will let you know what he says.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img001.jpg (39.7 KB, 19 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 14-09-11, 05:21 PM

hi,as you like KLR stuff.Heres a 1917 dated vernier compass ive got.its regimented to the 8th klr and belonged to captain j.h riley.Ive found a medal index relating to him on the national archives.is it a rare piece?tommy t bag

Old 14-09-11, 05:31 PM
Banned

Can someone enlighten me regarding the difference between 'footed' and 'splayed' lugs on cap badges ? Many thanks in anticipation of enlightenment. David
Old 14-09-11, 05:51 PM

This very nice compass is a Liverpool Irish item and therefore 8th (Irish ) Bn T.F, not 8th ( Scotttish ) V.B., there is no Riley in the list of officers Commssioned into the Liverpool Scottish 1900- 1962 which I have.

There is a 2nd Lt.J.H. Riley with the 8th (Irish) Bn in the Army List September 1915.

P.B.

Sorry tommy, I may have misunderstood I thought as you posted this on the thread for the Liverpool Scottish badge you may have thought it was another Liverpool Scottish item.

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 14-09-11 at 07:02 PM.
Old 14-09-11, 05:58 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counsel for the Defence View Post
Can someone enlighten me regarding the difference between 'footed' and 'splayed' lugs on cap badges ? Many thanks in anticipation of enlightenment. David
David,
as it was me who used the term I had best explain why I used it! "Splayed" as in "turned out" as opposed to the "D" shaped and more common "Foot" found on lug fittings! It is a term I use and not from any reference, however I feel it is self explanatory and most people seem to get the gist! Images are self explanatory methinks?

Best regards

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1003 (4).jpg (35.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1001 (7).jpg (35.1 KB, 27 views)
Old 15-09-11, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
This very nice compass is a Liverpool Irish item and therefore 8th (Irish ) Bn T.F, not 8th ( Scotttish ) V.B., there is no Riley in the list of officers Commssioned into the Liverpool Scottish 1900- 1962 which I have.

There is a 2nd Lt.J.H. Riley with the 8th (Irish) Bn in the Army List September 1915.

P.B.

Sorry tommy, I may have misunderstood I thought as you posted this on the thread for the Liverpool Scottish badge you may have thought it was another Liverpool Scottish item.
Hi,i did realize the compass was liverpool irish.Just wanted to show it to you because you seem interested in liverpool regiment stuff.tommy t bag
Old 15-09-11, 05:37 PM

Tommy,

Thanks for posting the pictures of the very nice item.

Peter

P.S. the thing that I do find interesting is that the Irish at least at the start of WW1 had blackened Sam Browne belts with white metal fittings ( as a rifle battalion ) and I would have expected that the compass case would have had a black case,but obviously that was not the case ( if you will pardon the pun )