British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-09-11, 03:31 PM

Default WILTSHIRE CAST?.... WITH LUGS.

Hi gent's, hope I'm not opening up another "Can of worms" here, but could someone give me their much appreciated thoughts on this one. I got this the other day. It's cast, very heavy and what seem to be OK lugs to the rear. Is it an oversea's production you think? Also looks to have been like a bronzed or blackened brass at one time.

Thanks in advance

Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WILTSHIRE CAST F.jpg (56.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg WILTSHIRE CAST R.jpg (60.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg WILTSHIRE CAST SV.jpg (57.5 KB, 47 views)
Old 04-09-11, 01:04 PM

28 views and no one telling me it a piece of c/@#$p
Old 04-09-11, 02:31 PM

I have two similar in my collection, one is blackened, the other has a dark brown coating like yours, it also has a vertical line on the back. I am sure they are locally made in theatre but not sure of the exact age, anywhere from WW1 to 1930s at a guess. Many collectors don't like the cast examples and are considered to be period copies but I have started to buy them when they come up, I feel that if they were worn at the time then they should be preserved as examples of what was worn and not discarded as junk, definately worth keeping in my opinion
Lee
Old 04-09-11, 02:36 PM

Hi Lee, much of what I thought about the theater made. I have to admit, not one that I will keep. I need the blackened one really, and on the pics of it it looked blackened, but bronzed brass it came. I'll keep looking.

I'll list it on here for a week then on to Ebay with it.

Thanks again Lee for the confirmation. Did,'t want to ditch something rare, unlike I did yesterday......

Thanks mate

Regards
Simon.
Old 04-09-11, 02:38 PM

My two cast are top row left in this thread
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=15004
Lee
Old 04-09-11, 02:45 PM

It's exactly the same lee, you'd think made by the same little Indian metal worker on the same day......probably still making them in Bradford today as we speak.....

Thanks Lee
Old 04-09-11, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
It's exactly the same lee, you'd think made by the same little Indian metal worker on the same day......probably still making them in Bradford today as we speak.....

Thanks Lee
Good to see manufacturing industries returning to the UK.
Old 05-09-11, 09:21 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Smelly View Post
I have two similar in my collection, one is blackened, the other has a dark brown coating like yours, it also has a vertical line on the back. I am sure they are locally made in theatre but not sure of the exact age, anywhere from WW1 to 1930s at a guess. Many collectors don't like the cast examples and are considered to be period copies but I have started to buy them when they come up, I feel that if they were worn at the time then they should be preserved as examples of what was worn and not discarded as junk, definately worth keeping in my opinion
Lee
Hi Lee
yet when in the field miles from camp with no way back to get a replacment you did the next best thing and made one so I agree with you on this even if they are cast and made locally or camp they should be collected and considerd real I and as you now I do keep my eyes out for them !!! in dealers junk trays !! steve
Old 05-09-11, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
Hi Lee, much of what I thought about the theater made. I have to admit, not one that I will keep. I need the blackened one really, and on the pics of it it looked blackened, but bronzed brass it came. I'll keep looking.

I'll list it on here for a week then on to Ebay with it.

Thanks again Lee for the confirmation. Did,'t want to ditch something rare, unlike I did yesterday......

Thanks mate

Regards
Simon.
you should keep it as you proberly can recall the WWII plastic cap badges where not very collectable a few years ago and no one wanted them ? now look at what they can go for !! arfterall they where worn !! steve
ps nice badge
Old 05-09-11, 01:06 PM

I have this typical cast Wiltshire badge too, part of a small collection with 100% provenance, note the different type of lugs used, cheers,
Wilf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img207.jpg (75.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg img212.jpg (81.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 18-09-11, 04:58 PM

Hi, I wanted to ask the forum if any one is interested in the cast one at the start of the thread, let me know as I intend to list on Ebay.

Simon.