British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Photographs of Canadian Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-09-09, 04:38 PM

Default Combined Ops insignia

I posted this photo in the Combined Ops thread in Formation Signs & patches, thought it might be useful to post here as well.

It is of an RCNVR Officer wearing the Canada/Commando/Combined Ops insignia,

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCN VR Commando.jpg (27.4 KB, 116 views)
Old 30-09-09, 04:47 PM

here is the back of the photo with details on the RCNVR Officer.

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCN VR Commando back of photo.jpg (21.8 KB, 25 views)
Old 30-09-09, 07:41 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Very nice Bryan, What in your opinion is the material of that blouse, looks like an Army battle dress, am I right? and why, Is it more appropriate for a commando's work rather than Naval dress? Nice to see Navy for a change.
Old 30-09-09, 08:14 PM

It appears to be Ray. I know the navy commandos wore Army B/D.
dont see many pics of them tho,

B
Old 02-10-09, 04:21 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCN View Post
It appears to be Ray. I know the navy commandos wore Army B/D.
dont see many pics of them tho,

B
That appears to be a salt water face if I ever saw one.
Old 02-10-09, 07:30 PM

Default RCN Commando photo

Here is the photo caption Ray:

Commandos of the Royal Canadian Navy will be side by side with beach troops of the army when the "Big Show" commences. The first group of Cdn Naval Commandos has just completed the RN course at the training centre in Scotland and are now fit and ready for the toughest jobs the naval service can offer. Lieutenant Dudley Rayburn, RCNVR, of Calgary, Alberta. Lt. Rayburn was in the RCNVR for 14 years prior to being called up for the outbreak of this war. Before joining the Commandos in Oct, 1943, he was an instructor at a torpedo school and the First Lieutenant at HMCS Chippawa in Winnipeg, Manitoba". The photo is dated "April 22nd, 1944".

Bryan
Old 05-10-09, 12:19 AM

Hi ,thought i would post this image from my collection too as it may be of interest along with the one R.C.N has posted .

If the Canadian beach commando`s is of interest to any of you guys let me ,as some where in one of my box files i have a written article with photos from a military history magazine that came out about 10 years back ,hope this helps regards ,Nemo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CANADA COMMANDO.jpg (50.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 05-10-09, 12:52 AM

What I would like to know -- is the Commando badge on the other arm facing the opposite way -- ie: Tommy gun & bird facing the rear? Were they worn as matched sets???

Bryan

Last edited by RCN; 05-10-09 at 12:53 AM. Reason: .
Old 05-10-09, 05:09 PM

Hi,
Attached are a couple of photos showing the Combined Ops badge in facing pairs.

Also attached are a few more photos of Canadian Commandos in Normandy.

These along with a few others are available online at the "collectionscanada.gc.ca" website:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/l...p?Language=eng

Regards

Danny

CO Pair Emd.JPG CO Pair Prt.JPG

a180812-v6.jpg a180813-v6.jpg
a182994-v6.jpg
Old 06-10-09, 11:40 AM
Badge Guru

Can you tell me what is the difference between the Army and Navy commando course is? Could you earn a green beret on the Navy course during WW2?
Old 06-10-09, 02:48 PM

There was no such beast as the Army or Navy commando course, it was just the Commando Basic Training Course at Achnacarry which was originally an adjunct of the Special Training Centre at Lochailort. For all Arms and all services.

As the use of Special Service 'troops' increased so did the volume of trainees and the 'Commando Course' was exported to other outposts. Too varied for a thread like this.

Modern day: There is now only the Commando training centre at Lympstone. Running Royals and All Arms courses.

Passing the Commando course earns the Green Beret, (and with Army all arms, the Cdo Qualification 'dagger' badge, which the Royals have taken to wearing as a TRF,) but it is not always universally worn. Depending on duty, postings and circumstance. RN commandos still seem to favour the Naval cap.

Now that you don't need to be RM to join the SB branch, there will be the strange cases of future ex SB without Green beret or Commando Qualification badge.

Last edited by tynesideirish; 07-10-09 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-10-09, 04:54 PM
Badge Guru

Quote:
The first group of Cdn Naval Commandos has just completed the RN course at the training centre in Scotland
The above quote is what confused me? Or is that an additional course?
Old 07-10-09, 03:45 PM

It may have been a continuation Naval 'trade' course, the quote was refering to.

There has always only been one set of 'Commando Tests' that ALL regardless of unit must pass to become a Commando.

Royal Marines do the Commando tests as part of their basic , Army, RN, RAF are classed as All Arms and do the test week after a 'build up' of a period of weeks, usually also after an equally gruelling 'beat up' at unit level. (This basic & All arms system is mirrored at Depot PARA and Airborne Forces regarding P-Company)
Any other training, Demolitions, Signals, Boat, SC, A&MWC, SW Diver etc are trades.
Old 08-10-09, 02:04 AM

Default Navy Commandos

The photographs show members of Royal Canadian Navy Beach Commando 'W'. The Beach Commandos were a Combined Operations unit that was designed to administer the beachhead during an amphibious landing and RCN Beach Commando 'W' was formed in January, 1944. The RN had several Beach Commandos for Operation Neptune (L,P and S) and Canada had one (W) which was considered redundant for the amphibious assualt.

The Beach Commandos took their Commando training in Scotland and qualified to wear the Navy 'tombstone' Commando Badge, but in Army fashion, trimmed theirs in a circle. RCN Beach Commando 'W" was issued British Army clothing and equipment for Neptune but was only landed on JUNO on 4 July and served seven weeks on the beach before returning to the UK when it was 'paid off' in August 1944.

In some of the photographs the members of RCN beach Commando 'W' are seen wearing pieces of USN clothing that must have been scrounged from their fellow North American sailors.
Old 21-10-09, 01:59 PM

Here is some info & illustartions on RCN Beach Commando, & RN Commando, thought might be of interest:
{from another forum}

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Commando badges.jpg (86.9 KB, 33 views)

Tags
beach group, combined ops, navy commando