British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Photographs of Canadian Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-02-09, 01:03 AM

Michael, about the berets it was not limited to the Can.Fusiliers. I have a copy of an painting taken from the book "Canada at War" by Leslie F. Hannon, (but no artist's name) showing Canadian and US troops on Kiska.In it you see a Rocky Mountain Rangers' Captain and some R de Hull and Winnipeg Grenadiers soldiers all wearing black berets.Also, you can see the back of RCSigs. Cpl. wearing one too.
I would suggest that they the RCOC had a truckload of black berets and that they gave them to those units going to Kiska as a mean (maybe) of distinguishing the Canadian troops from the US troops (beside the difference in uniforms).
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 12-02-09, 02:52 AM

I know that some of these troops were back in the London area in the spring of 1944 and this photo was taken in London.Perhap the photo albums I,ll see tommorow will yield more of the same with dates.
Old 12-02-09, 02:54 AM

Jo Wrote"In it you see a Rocky Mountain Rangers' Captain and some R de Hull and Winnipeg Grenadiers soldiers all wearing black berets."

Now that you mention it Jo I think I have seen other units with the black beret.I hope I find some reference to it tommorow.
Cheers,Mike.
Old 12-02-09, 03:17 AM

Default More Fusilier weirdness

A Little off topic but very interesting photo of the CO and snr Officers of the Cdn Fusiliers London Ontario at the announcement of the Battalion going active around apr 1942. Notice the wear of Cloth shoulder flashes on the Officers Service dress as well as the small Officers cap badge(possibly bullion) on the coloured FSC worn by the CO.
Old 12-02-09, 03:19 AM

A photograph already talked about by DavidS in post no.6 but here as a reminder.Major E.T.Jacques, Regiment de Hull.
Jo
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...hki39aplh10kh3

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 12-02-09, 03:22 AM

Yes,I remember the shot,definately a black beret as you said.there will be a reason for this documented somewhere and hopefully among the docs to be seen tommorow,great shot Jo...thanks for that. M.
Old 19-10-09, 04:29 PM

An example is for sale on e-pay
http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-CANADIAN-YE...item2303719f66

This may be one of the rarest patches and its history is still unknown.
Old 19-10-09, 04:40 PM

Hello all. If this patch remains a mystery even to you Clive, my God what is this world coming to.....

Jo

Old 20-10-09, 01:27 AM

He has some very nice patches for sale right now, including the 32 Recce. See his store at http://stores.shop.ebay.com/LUCS-BES...0Q2em14?_pgn=8

Tags
formation patch, kiska