British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-05-09, 06:56 AM

Default Canadian First World War Tade Badges

In the book 'Skill at Arms' by Thomas J. Bennet, the author lists a number of WW1 (and interwar) Canadian Trade Badges which I have not seen refered to in British sources.

1. Telegraph Plole with cables attached (Lineman Signals)
2. Light Bulb with arrows attached (Electrican Signals)
3. DR Badge consisting of Wheel with DR above. The
author refers to this being the WW1 version with the
wings being added post-war.

Were any of these carried accross to British Army use. I assume number 3 if his comments are correct about the wings being added post-war.
Old 20-05-09, 07:16 PM

There were a few repos of Number 1 floating around a couple of years back. I may have one some place, but most of my stuff is packed away.

Number 2 sounds similar to the design of the Circle and flashes (103), just take the thread away from the glass.

And there was a wheel and steering wheel used as you know.
Old 21-05-09, 03:03 PM

Item 2 - was listed as an unidentified badege when the Military Heraldry Society did an article on all the circle and lighting badges some years ago. The centre is not round and is more of an electrical valve shape.

Item 3 - the history of the Wheeled Winged Badges and when they were introduced has always been uncertain.

If the Author is saying the original badge started off with a Wheel and DR above (without wings) this is new information.

The book if you are not familiar with is is unfortunately not very well laid out and confusing at times in its text. The pictures are also not very clear.