British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-05-16, 02:58 AM

Hi Mike,

So the unit was in England from the evacuation of Dunkirk to July 43 when they sailed from Scotland to Sicily. They had no time in other locations so my guess is they were fairly formal. What would this have completely entailed?

There is one picture that I believe is of the 102nd Army Field Coy RE. Here is the link:

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205204279

My grandfather distinctly remembered this picture. When he was in his hospital bed after being wounded he was reading a paper when he saw a picture of his unit with the caption of the Engineers Cheering Monty. He said immediately recognized the guys and the only reason they were happy was Monty handed out cigarettes. Unfortunately I can't see any insignia in this photo but they are holding cigarettes! haha Both Wedge caps are being worn in a funny manner as well. The caption matches the unit's war diary for the area they were in at the time.

Cam
Old 10-05-16, 03:42 AM

Have you explored this:

http://ww2talk.com/forums/topic/1151...ld-company-re/

In theory the unit will have been ordered to remove the formation signs that they had been wearing in UK on embarkation and will probably have been wearing unbadged KD on landing in the middle of the Sicilian summer - as evidenced by the IWM image that you posted. Only two of the group are wearing shirts, so there's not much to go on. Surprisingly the Army Commander is, for once, correctly dressed! Mike
Old 11-05-16, 05:36 PM

Unfortunately the website is down right now... hopefully it's back up shortly.
Old 20-05-16, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Have you explored this:

http://ww2talk.com/forums/topic/1151...ld-company-re/

In theory the unit will have been ordered to remove the formation signs that they had been wearing in UK on embarkation and will probably have been wearing unbadged KD on landing in the middle of the Sicilian summer - as evidenced by the IWM image that you posted. Only two of the group are wearing shirts, so there's not much to go on. Surprisingly the Army Commander is, for once, correctly dressed! Mike
I'm still on the case. Although this Airgraph doesn't prove anything it does show a linkage between a sister unit to 3 Beach Group and the Combined Operations sign. Further evidence that the edict that the sign was not (not) to be worn by Beach Groups was being ignored in CMF. Mike
Beach Groups_4 Beach Group Airgraph.jpg
Old 20-05-16, 10:12 PM

Thanks!

That's quite interesting. Hopefully something related to 3 Beach Group comes up at some point.

Cam