British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-04-16, 10:21 AM

Default NZ badges picked up at the Yungaburra Market

Hello all
The wife wanted to go to the Yungaburra Market yesterday. I baulked at the idea because it is generally all arty crafty stall but for the sake of domestic harmony I acted as chauffeur for the day.

Lucky I did, I found these two treasures on one of the stalls.

1. NZ Nelson College Cadets from around the 1900 era, and
2. NZ Legion of Frontiersmen collar badge from the 1911 era.

Still trying to ID the third badge but don't think it is from NZ so haven't included it.

Regards

Dennis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY3757.jpg (67.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg SANY3753.jpg (51.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 24-04-16, 10:48 AM

Well done mate, my wife regularly drags me along to these markets as well, but I only ever see the arts and crafts and an empty wallet.
Old 24-04-16, 07:39 PM

Hi
What a great find. Your wife will probably wonder about your renewed enthusiasm to accompany her to these types of markets.

Cheers

John
Old 25-04-16, 02:10 AM

Hi Dennis, your frontiersmen badge, generally speaking was only worn here in New Zealand as a hat badge sometime between 1907 and 1926.
Given that it was found in Australia, could it not have belonged to an Australian Frontiersman?
Old 25-04-16, 06:19 AM

Thank you. It helped me identify this 20 mm button. It was ordered by the "Uniform Clothing & Equipment Company" in London.
You wrote that the hat badge was only worn in New Zealand. Can you tell me if this particular logo with letters L.F. was only used in New Zealand?

PS I found this thread:
http://militarybadgecollection.com/2...ervice-etc.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LF.jpg (39.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 25-04-16, 07:40 AM

I am open to suggestions about its origin. I don't know much about the Legion of Frontiersmen.

I have been collecting Australian badges for the best part of 40 years and have never seen a LF badge of this type before or seen a picture reference .

It was only when I was checking the history of the Nelson Cadets badge in Oldhams NZ badge reference book I came across the reference to the NZ LF collar badge with the picture of the badge.

If anybody can give me a reference about Australian usage I will be more than happy to move it from my NZ display to my Australian Display.

Regards

Dennis
Old 26-04-16, 01:19 AM

In regards to the LOF badge, it is a generic badge worn by the British and New Zealand Legion of Frontiersmen circa 1907 to 1926.
My own research has been only focused on badges worn by the NZ LOF, but I am sure the Australian LOF also adopted the same badges as were worn in Britain.
Of interest, only one Victoria Cross was awarded to a serving member of the Legion, and that was to an Australian during WW1, although his badges would have been the 25th LOF badges.
IMO most LOF buttons as pictured in post#5, would have been British issue, although it would not surprise me if some NZ LOF members wore them.

Last edited by atillathenunns; 26-04-16 at 01:27 AM.
Old 26-04-16, 10:05 AM

Thanks for the additional comments, it has given me some avenues of inquiry to follow up

Dennis
Old 26-04-16, 10:38 AM

Default eBay

Never seen them before and now they are popping up everywhere

Check out item 131789376980 on eBay
Old 26-04-16, 09:28 PM

Default LOF hat badge

Interesting thread and i've learned a lot, thanks to all the contributors.

I wonder if anyone can post a picture of a NZ LOF WWI period badge that would have been worn on a lemon squeezer style hat and would this style hat had a pugree??

Thanks in advance, Kerry.
Old 27-04-16, 03:04 PM

For interest. The attached Legion of Frontiersmen badges were worn in South Africa.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frontiersmen cap badge.jpg (68.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Frontiersmen collar.jpg (63.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Frontiersmen title.jpg (43.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 28-04-16, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanganui View Post
Interesting thread and i've learned a lot, thanks to all the contributors.

I wonder if anyone can post a picture of a NZ LOF WWI period badge that would have been worn on a lemon squeezer style hat and would this style hat had a pugree??

Thanks in advance, Kerry.
Hi Kerry, the Legion of Frontiersmen did not wear a lemon squeezer hat which typically has a crease to the front and cloth puggaree. Instead, the LOF prefer the term “Stetson” hat, which is worn with a dent to the front and has a leather puggaree. (The boy scout hat was modelled on the LOF Stetson and is mentioned as official headdress in the 1912 NZ Military Dress Regs)

The following NZLOF picture is of Trooper Mossman taken in New Zealand circa 1913/1914, interestingly he is wearing his LOF membership badge as a hat badge.

Photographs of LOF hat badges being worn on NZ Service Dress uniforms are very rare. The following picture of Trooper Davies (taken circa late 1914 or 1915)

The following picture is of Cecil (6th Reinforcements) and was taken in Wellington on the 22nd July 1915. (Note Cecil is wearing his LOF membership pin in its correct position on the right pocket flap)

For those who are interested in Lieutenant Dartnell VC, there is a picture of him in the following thread wearing his 25th RF badge in post #60.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...iersmen&page=4

The LOF badges posted by Madziro were worn post 1926.
If I get a chance I will post some of my NZ LOF badges on the weekend.

Brent
Old 01-05-16, 08:07 AM

Default L of F Stetson

Cheers Atilla, that's answered all my questions & more i hadn't thought of!! I have a uniform grouping to a WWI NZ airman which includes his L of F Stetson and wondered what badge he would have worn on it.

Thanks once again, Kerry.