British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-03-17, 04:19 PM

Default Commando research

Good Afternoon all
Have been in touch with someone who had an Uncle, recently deceased, who he believes was in a RM Commando unit in WWII. His name was William Knibbs and apparently was a bit of a recluse who wouldn't talk about his time in WWII
The family is trying to go through loft etc to gather some sort of information on him but I was wondering how little or how much information is needed to find out about a Commando's WWII service - and the best avenues to go down?

Interestingly he tells me his Grandfather was RA in WWI, another uncle went into France in a glider on D Day, his cousin was in the Falklands in the Buffs and his Mother was a Norwegian, one of the Telemark heroes whose parents were shot. She was hidden away and was brought out of Norway by SAS. If all of that is true then he has some military history running through his family!
Ray
Old 16-03-17, 08:54 PM

In answer to your question, in the case of the man you mention, his immediate family simply need the basic details, the MOD will do the rest.
Old 17-03-17, 06:44 AM

Not quite so simple! Suggest you first do searches for his Surname on the CVA forums, galleries and nominal rolls it might be he's on there somewhere so you can find out what unit he was in, might even throw up his serial number.

Instructions for MoD disclosures are here:

http://forum.commandoveterans.org/cd.../list/179.page
Old 17-03-17, 03:37 PM

Default No joy

Thanks Belly, I signed up on CVA and searched on surname but no results (think I did it right). Hoping to hear more from the chap this weekend and may be able to do a more specific search then.

If nothing else gained from this at least I have joined CVA rather than merely pop in and out as a guest. Might even do a search on my own name!
Ray