British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-03-17, 10:48 AM

Default Buttons for ID please

Hi All,

So, this novice badge collector has ventured into buttons. I wanted a few Infantry and Cavalry examples to display with my modest badge collection and managed to buy a small box full from a local junk shop. Mostly run of the mill stuff and I've managed to identify the majority. There are a few however, which I'm struggling with...may not be military at all?

I wonder if anyone can kindly identify and add any details about these please? Also there are some buttons with threaded posts and large domed heads...what are these for? There is a mystery item too - twisted silver with ball ends and a pin back. It was in with the buttons and I have no idea what it is. Ideas?

Here's a link to my albums:-

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...p?albumid=3151

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...p?albumid=2940

Many thanks in anticipation.
Old 26-03-17, 11:20 AM

Hi Kevin

I've IDd the few I can, hope it helps.

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 26-03-17, 11:32 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacal View Post
Hi Kevin

I've IDd the few I can, hope it helps.

Graham
Big thank you Graham.
Old 26-03-17, 01:40 PM

Added one or two.
Old 26-03-17, 02:01 PM

Added a couple of comments but I've no idea what the silver 'chain and balls' are for!

Roger
Old 26-03-17, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribyn View Post
Added a couple of comments but I've no idea what the silver 'chain and balls' are for!

Roger
Looks like a Border Regt. button attached to it with the 'China' honour. Or possibly AOC.
Old 26-03-17, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
Looks like a Border Regt. button attached to it with the 'China' honour. Or possibly AOC.
Hello Phil

If we are referring to the same button, the one to the left and just above the 'chain' then I am pretty certain it is the Honourable Artillery Company, the same as this one. Mind you the angle of the button in the photo is not all that good!

Roger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HAC Button.jpg (78.2 KB, 11 views)
Old 26-03-17, 02:40 PM

Hi Kevin,

I will let those more knowledgable than I comment on id's.

Suffice to say welcome to the dark side..!

Buttons are quite addictive so be warned. But much enjoyment can be had from these little beauties. Along with wonderful assistance from forum members I have had a great time thus far collecting.

Good luck!

Cheerio,

Roy

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 26-03-17, 04:33 PM

Have added a comment on the button identified as Repton School OTC- not Repton but St Paul's School OTC
PL
Old 26-03-17, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc14 View Post
Have added a comment on the button identified as Repton School OTC- not Repton but St Paul's School OTC
PL
Quite right, St Paul's School OTC it is.

Roger
Old 26-03-17, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Hello Phil

If we are referring to the same button, the one to the left and just above the 'chain' then I am pretty certain it is the Honourable Artillery Company, the same as this one. Mind you the angle of the button in the photo is not all that good!

Roger
You have it spot on there, I agree. I was struggling to make it out on my phone.
Old 26-03-17, 07:42 PM

Gents,

Many thanks to all who offered advice.

My intention was to collect an example of each of the WW1 / 2 Infantry, Cavalry and Corps to accompany my badges. This first haul obviously included some non-military, which I will try to avoid in future and also one or two nice Victorian and Volunteer Btn examples, which I'm very pleased with. I can absolutely relate to Roy's warning and feel it may just have started something.

I feel there will be many more questions as it seems this area of collecting is not exactly awash with reference books. Thankfully the combined knowledge of this forum and the willingness to help novices is the best help anyone could wish for.

Thanks again.

Kevin.
Old 27-03-17, 07:27 AM

Hello Kevin

If you are serious about collecting buttons then you need to get hold of at least this one "Buttons of the Regular Army 1855-2000" by Howard Ripley. Available from the author, sometimes on ebay but also from him on Amazon as well although I am not sure if it is currently available but I'm sure it will be again soon. Keep checking Amazon for availability but don't get caught by those offering some of his books at inflated prices.

As the title says this covers the Regular Army, so cavalry, infantry and supporting services.

There are other books on military buttons by Howard Ripley available from the Military Historical Society website (you don't have to be a member to buy them) here - https://www.themilitaryhistoricalsoc...&category_id=2

These are excellent value for money. Again, beware of buying the same MHS publication from some ebay sellers calling them "rare" and asking hugely inflated prices!

There are a few other books about but they are more difficult to find and thus can be more expensive but the above publications should keep your interest going for some time!

Regards
Roger
Old 27-03-17, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Quite right, St Paul's School OTC it is.

Roger
Yes, apologies.
I had messed up my search and ID system.
Thank you for fixing one more incorrect entry.