British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-03-17, 09:14 PM

Smile Badge Backings

I bought some badges yesterday which were framed with backings, the Cameronians I think is probably correct which although A/A has a backing tartan similar to a badge I was given by a works colleague some forty plus years ago.

The Royal Ulster Rifles has a green triangle which I have read could be correct, it measures 65mm deep X 60mm wide.

The Rifle Brigade has a yellow backing of which I can find nothing positive as to being correct.

Your help would be appreciated.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010591.jpg (66.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg P1010589.jpg (41.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg P1010590.jpg (49.9 KB, 37 views)
Old 20-03-17, 09:36 PM

The Cameronians ,im sure is correct. The tartan patch looks to be the correct tartan.
Ulster Rifles im not sure about.
The Rifle Brigade,ive not come across any backing before. The badge has the Guelphic crown,which was the last version before the RB went into the Green Jackets Brigade .There would seem to be 2 possible answers. 1)It is just something somebody has added. 2) that it was to a certain training squad. But the Rifle Brigade would be more likely to use green,red or black .
Old 20-03-17, 10:06 PM

Hi Rob
With regard to the RB badge the only backing I'm aware of is the rifle green backing worn towards the end of WW11 in the beret, I would say the backing to your RB has just been added for some reason.

Gerard
Old 20-03-17, 10:15 PM

Rob. The RUR backing is incorrect. The Royal Irish Fusiliers wore a green triangle badge backing. But think it was darker, with point facing down. The RUR wore a dark green rectangle 2 inch x 2 1/4 inch. And a circular back on the maroon beret by the airborne Bn.
Old 20-03-17, 10:20 PM

Default Badge backings

I have searched the badge backings book and can find nothing on the Rifle Brigade with a yellow backing, as MikeH said it could be for a training squad which I was hoping someone could verify.

The RUR is mentioned as having a green backing, so maybe this is correct as is the Cameronians.

Rob
Old 20-03-17, 10:44 PM

I have a Royal Winnipeg Rifles cap badge with a yellow backing, but I don't know what the backing regs are for Canadian badges.

David
Old 20-03-17, 11:45 PM

Rob,
The green triangle is not correct for RUR. It is the backing for the Royal Irish Fusiliers, but it is displayed upside down.
Eddie
Old 21-03-17, 08:27 AM

Smile Badge backings

I did suspect there was some "artistic licence" applied to this framing of these badges, the KLR had a large red square behind it which I did not bother to show, the Cameronians is as I said in the first post probably original, the RUR although green which has probably faded is as Eddie said is for the RIF and the Rifle Brigade is still in the "not sure" section.

Many thanks for your replies and if anyone can confirm the RB backing as being correct I would be grateful.

Rob
Old 21-03-17, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
I did suspect there was some "artistic licence" applied to this framing of these badges, the KLR had a large red square behind it which I did not bother to show, the Cameronians is as I said in the first post probably original, the RUR although green which has probably faded is as Eddie said is for the RIF and the Rifle Brigade is still in the "not sure" section.

Many thanks for your replies and if anyone can confirm the RB backing as being correct I would be grateful.

Rob
Ill have a mooch through some RBimages later. See if they show anything. The cap badge shown was only in use for approx 5 yrs ,53-58. So a relative narrow window to look at .