British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-03-17, 10:36 AM

Default Thistle button

I doubt that this is a military button, but still I'm not fully certain this is the case.
Size 23mm. Backmark unclear but can just about decipher 'SUPERIOR'. Came with other UK dug buttons.
GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ThistleButton.jpg (55.8 KB, 17 views)
Old 05-03-17, 12:42 PM

Hello GTB

No obvious military connection that I am aware of but a lot of the Scottish regiments used a thistle somewhere in their insignia! Of course, many non-military Scots used the thistle as a device as well!

Funnily enough the recent issue of Button Lines illustrates an officer's mess waiter's button of the 26th (Cameronians) Regiment of Foot which is just a thistle on a rimmed gilt button! Unfortunately it is a different 'pattern' of thistle to that on your button. The one in Button Lines is described as having a backmark which dates it to "the 1840s-early 1850s" but the mark itself is not mentioned.

Not much help I'm afraid.

Roger
Old 05-03-17, 02:28 PM

Yes, can be frustrating not having a provenance to go with item.

I have a superlative gold(?) button, manufactured in France ostensibly for nobility, and which bears a diamond cut thistle on a frosted fine-lined ground, encircled by a bright scallopped rim.
21mm, domed, closed back. B/m 'SUPERIEUR. FRANCE'. Unfortunately, scan doesn't do it honour.
GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GoldThistleButton_0003.jpg (51.7 KB, 10 views)