British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-02-17, 02:24 PM

Default Women's Legion

I am putting together an article for The Formation Sign the Journal of the Military Heraldry Society on the Women's Legion, particularly on its badges and insignia.

Whilst the Legion served in WWI it is not often appreciated that it continued in being throughout the inter-war period and served in WW2.

I have a scan of the badge worn on the shoulder shown attached with 2 WL which would suggest that there are others with numbers on - or a least an example with 1 WL.

According to a file on the Legion held in the National Archives Army Order 180 of 1927 granted official recognition to the Women's Legion. Can anyone supply me with a copy of that AO please?

All contributions from Forum members will be acknowledged and a copy of the issue will be supplied if wanted.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WL2.jpg (39.7 KB, 37 views)
Old 13-02-17, 08:21 PM

Default A.O. 180 of 1927

Jon,

The text of this short A.O. is as follows:

Recognition of the Women's Legion Motor Drivers. - The Women's Legion Motor Drivers have been officially recognised by the Army Council as a voluntary reserve transport unit, on the same terms as those approved by Army Order 94 of 1927 in the case of the First Aid Nursing Yeomanry (Ambulance Car Corps).

A.O. 94 of 1927

The text of this A.O. is as follows:

Recognition of the First Aid Nursing Yeomanry (Ambulance Car Corps). - The First Aid Nursing Yeomanry (Ambulance Car Corps) has been officially recognised by the Army Council as a voluntary reserve transport unit. The corps has placed its services at the disposal of the War Office for service in any national emergency, either as a unit or, in the event of a Women's Reserve being organized, as individual members of that reserve. The corps will receive no financial assistance from army funds.

If you want me to photocopy these, let me know (I can't scan them as my printer's not working).

George
Old 16-02-17, 01:44 PM

Much appreciated.

Jon

Tags
women's legion