British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > All other Colonial Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-02-17, 12:31 PM

Default Rhodesian Signals

Hi, Some new acquisitions related to Rhodesian Signal corps but I have some questions for more knowledgeable members.

1. Officers silver & gilt cap/beret badge with 'Rhodesia' title but 'Jimmy' facing opposite direction to all Rhodesian signal cap badges I have seen.
2. Officers silver & gilt collar badge with "Rhodesia and Nyasaland" title
3. Officers gilt signal button (flat with no makers name)
4. Cloth felt flash - signal colors but light and dark blue switched around. Is this possibly for another unit and not signals?

Thanks in advance
Steven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rhodesia Cap.jpg (68.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Phodesia & Nyasaland Collar.jpg (63.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Rhodesian Signals button.jpg (51.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Rhodesian Signals Flash.jpg (66.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Rhodesian Signals.jpg (78.6 KB, 27 views)
Old 05-02-17, 10:57 AM

My knowledge is limited and linked, in part, to relatives who were based in Africa. I'd suggest the first badge to be a collar badge; hence the direction so it is matching as part of a pair. Your second badge would have been worn during the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland (1953-1963). I think your third badge to be more likely a blazer button. The flash at the end has me stumped. when I first looked at it I though it looked like the Psyops flash if only the green could be excused for some reason.

Mike
Old 05-02-17, 11:49 AM

Default Rhodesia Signals

Dear Steven.

Reference the photos I hope the attachments help.

First seems to be a Rhodesia Corps of Signals collar badge. This is the only reason I know of for a Jimmy to point to the right and not to the left as per cap badges. Size is important as you can see from the attached photo. The very small ones are Officers Mess Dress badges and the larger ones with the Crowns is normal collar badge

The same goes for the Rhodesia and Nyasaland collar badge that you show.

I tend to agree that the button looks to be a blazer badge rather than a uniform badge which I tend to think would be of a raised style.

Cloth badge I am afraid I can not help you with.

Hope this helps a little Steven.

Kind regards

Chris Walker
Old 05-02-17, 01:46 PM

Hi Chris and Mike,
Thanks for your input. I have compared the size of the Rhodesia signals and it is the same size as the standard cap badge size. The only difference is Jimmy is facing the wrong way. Could it be possible that for a period there were facing collars the same size as the cap badge and this has not yet been recorded?

The Rhodesia and Nyasaland badge is same size as the standard collars. The last picture I posted shows the size difference between the two badges.

I agree with the button been a blazer button.

Steven
Old 05-02-17, 08:36 PM

Hello Steven,
The flash is a Southern Rhodesia Signal Corp Hat Flash, the blue is worn to the front.

Phil.
Old 06-02-17, 03:34 AM

Thanks Phil,
All other examples I have seen the two blue's are transposed (i.e. light blue, thin dark blue, and green) and therefore my asking whether this one was correct, a manufacturing error or something completely different.

It does have the same construction though of other Rhodesian hat slashes I have seen.

Steven
Old 06-02-17, 12:01 PM

Default Rhodesia Signals badge

Dear Steven.

I have absolutely no idea if there was ever a set of cap and collars for the Rhodesian Signals all being the same size. Very good point but in all my time of collecting Signals badges I have never come across a Rhodesian set all the same size.

Having said that Steven the British A/A collar badges when I was in the Royal Signals back in the 1960/70's were all the same size and I think still are. Reason I remember is you could use a collar badge for cap badge (Left facing of course) if you broke your beret badge.

Perhaps Andrew Dinnes if he looks at this Thread may be able to assist.

I will also send an email to my Guru Cliff Lord (Quicksilver) and see if he can come up with an answer.

Strange Steven.

Cheers

Chris Walker
Old 06-02-17, 12:27 PM

Thanks Chris,

Both badges are officers silver/gilt badges, so could well be private purchase items and the manufacturer produced a set of collars same size as cap.

NOTE: I compared the size of the badge to what Colin Owen displays in his book and my badge matches the size that Colin shows as a cap. Maybe I should measure both badges so that we can compare to yours just in case Colin is showing a collar as a cap in his book.

Steven

Measurements from base of scroll to tip of finger - Large badge 42mm, smaller badge 27mm

Last edited by Milmed; 06-02-17 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-02-17, 01:56 PM

Default Rhodesian Signals

Dear Steven.

I have emailed Cliff Lord to see if he can come up with any ideas and I have asked him if he would be kind enough to come back through the Forum with his thoughts.

Probably mid night in New Zealand at present so a reply may come tomorrow.

My only thought as I may have mentioned before Steven is if the badge is a collar badge and even officer quality as it seems to look like. A set of collars with the Queens Crown above would be quite large on a No2 Service Dress jacket. But funnier things have been known to happen.

Regards

Chris Walker
Old 06-02-17, 02:19 PM

Hi Chris,
I found a post by Craig showing his collection of Rhodesian Corps badges and it appears both my flash and the large collar badge is also in Craig's collection.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ead.php?t=7769

Nice to see they appear to have existed and would have been worn.

Steven
Old 07-02-17, 10:37 AM

Default Rhodesia Signals

Dear Steven.

Delighted to see the album and photos from Craig. It appears I replied to this Thread back in 2010 as well as Cliff Lord.

Nice to see the large Jimmy as a pair of collar badges complete with cap badge.

Must now try and get a set for my collection and find out the date. Obviously post 1954 as they show Queens Crown.

Well done

Chris Walker