British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Unit Colour Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-07-15, 02:20 PM

Default ID help on Arty? color patch

I am fairly certain this is an arty unit but I have very little information on such and hopefully someone here can help ID it. Also any info on the dates for its use and any history of the unit or links to such so I can research them. The slouchie it is on appears to be a late 30's or early 40's example.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aussie slouchie 9.jpg (82.2 KB, 13 views)

Jerry
Old 30-07-15, 03:21 PM

Off the top of my head, and based on shape and colours, I was about to say that this was 1 Aust Armd Div RAA. But it is not - and it doesn't feature in the official 1945 dated reference document. Mike
Old 30-07-15, 03:41 PM

thanks Mike,

I had seen the ones in this album, similar to two of them, if you take my meaning but obviously none match.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ctureid=110551

I don't have any literature on color patches so a bit stuck so far. The best book on the subject is expensive and I can't find any for sale so far.

Hopefully someone can help who has a copy.

Jerry
Old 30-07-15, 03:46 PM

The last patch in this album is however the same except the one i have is up the other way around, perhaps applied the wrong way or a more subtle unit variation that I have yet to find.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...p?albumid=2485

Jerry
Old 30-07-15, 06:39 PM

This is a patch manufactured in Western Australia during the wartime period as a result of a request by HQ 1 Aust Armd Div for the new HQRAA 1 Aust Armd Div. It was passed to LHQ for approval with the recommendation by HQ 3 Aust Corps that it be worn by all units of RAA 1 Aust Armd Div. It was definitely not approved nor likely to have been worn and I suggest from the stitching attaching it to the puggaree that such addition is much more recent.

Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
I am fairly certain this is an arty unit but I have very little information on such and hopefully someone here can help ID it. Also any info on the dates for its use and any history of the unit or links to such so I can research them. The slouchie it is on appears to be a late 30's or early 40's example.

Thanks.
Old 30-07-15, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlie63 View Post
This is a patch manufactured in Western Australia during the wartime period as a result of a request by HQ 1 Aust Armd Div for the new HQRAA 1 Aust Armd Div. It was passed to LHQ for approval with the recommendation by HQ 3 Aust Corps that it be worn by all units of RAA 1 Aust Armd Div. It was definitely not approved nor likely to have been worn and I suggest from the stitching attaching it to the puggaree that such addition is much more recent.

Keith
Keith,

Thanks for ID'ing it, that is greatly appreciated.

the matter of if it has been added more recently is certainly likely or at the least possible and has already been considered elsewhere. The reverse of the stitching looks a bit better than the outside, but that's for another discussion. The seller is a member here and perhaps he will notice as he asked about two color patches recently all part of a large lot of Aussie gear he has for sale from a collection he has recently purchased.

Thanks again Keith.

Jerry
Old 30-07-15, 09:39 PM

Odd though that it is the same as the patch I linked to except upside down, so I wonder how if it was a loose patch that it can be certainly id'd as one rather than the other?

I hope the owner of the album does not mind me borrowing his image to compare the two. I have shown the patch on the pug upside down for this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Royal Aust Artillery, 2nd Aust Motor Div, 1942-43..jpg (37.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Aussie slouchie 9 rotated.jpg (82.0 KB, 8 views)

Jerry
Old 31-07-15, 07:27 AM

[QUOTE=JBBOND;317722]Odd though that it is the same as the patch I linked to except upside down, so I wonder how if it was a loose patch that it can be certainly id'd as one rather than the other?=QUOTE]

The design and position of wearing of the colour patch you have borrowed the image of was an authorised patch for RAA units of 2 Aust Motor Div 1942-43 (22 Aust Fd Regt and 105 Aust A Tk Regt). They were Victorian units. The former was transferred to 3 Aust Armd Div in Queensland in April 1943, the latter remained in Victoria until August/September 1943 when it was broken up to form AA units.

1st Aust Armoured Division was located in Western Australia 1942-43. HQRAA 1 Aust Armd Div was formed by redesignation of HQRAA 4 Aust Div in March/April 1943, it was disbanded in September/October 1943.

No artillery unit of 2 Aust Motor Div was ever raised in or deployed in Western Australia.

Colour patches at this time were generally supplied by the Commonwealth Clothing Factory (located in South Melbourne I think) in bulk as manufactured to 2 Base Ordnance Depot in Victoria from whence they were distributed to other areas in response to maintenance demands.

Local manufacture was also undertaken but only for maintenance requirements for units and formations in that area. This included WA where patches were made primarily for units of 2 and 4 Aust Divs, 1 Aust Armd Div, 3 Aust Corps and WA L of C Area. These appear to have been made by one manufacturer only and thousands of them were sold at an auction of a military outfitters stocks in the early 1970s. Somewhere I have a copy of the auction flyer. Because of the material and the stitching style I can identify the patch in the image you borrowed as of being of identical manufacture to the patch on the puggaree, they are just photographed in different lighting conditions.

In summary the patch you have on that puggaree was locally manufactured in WA for a unit in WA. It was not made for one of the Victorian units of 2 Aust Motor Division. Also note that 2 Aust Motor Div was identified as 2 Aust Armd Div in the authority for the colour patch designs. No such formation as 2 Aust Armd Div ever existed.

Keith
Old 31-07-15, 07:44 AM

Keith,

in summary, the patch I borrowed the image of from an album on the forum has been misidentified in that album and is also the same as the one on the pug, part of a lot of unused patches sold in the 70's.

Thanks again for taking the time to explain this in detail.

Jerry