British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-04-17, 02:12 PM

Default King's Own Regt badge backing question

Which battalion(s) of the King's Own Royal Lancaster Regt wore the red outline badge backing, and when? Photos of the territorial bns in WW1 show no backing being worn, so perhaps it was just a Regular Army (or even just a 1st Bn) thing?

Thanks for any assistance.
Old 29-04-17, 04:36 PM

Hi Lettman,
The Red Diamond cloth backing was introduced during the Boer war period, this changed to a rectangle in 1904, the colour was changed to Blue in 1912.
These dates are on the museum website.
Most images I have came across do not appear to show any trace of a badge backing other than on Slouch Hats or FSH's, and the much later Beret but the colour of the backing is hard to distinguish due to the images being in b&w.
They reverted to the Red diamond on amalgamation with the Border Regt.
Paul
Old 29-04-17, 10:14 PM

According to my notes, the 'Celer and Audax' book on 'Badge Backings of the British Army' indicates that the 1st Bn King's Own wore a red badge backing from 1947, specifying that by 1959 this was a red rectangle 3”x2”, presumably prior to the adoption of the Lancastrian Brigade badge. Does this sound right?

Did the King's Royal Border Regiment adopt the scarlet diamond backing
when wearing of regimental cap badges was resumed following the replacement of the brigade organisation by the administrative Infantry Divisions circa 1967.
Old 30-04-17, 12:50 AM

Many thanks for your replies, gentlemen. I appear to have been barking up the wrong tree with my idea of an outline backing, and now I can't even remember what prompted it. I must have seen an illustration somewhere, but I'll need to go back over my sources.
Old 30-04-17, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf42 View Post
According to my notes, the 'Celer and Audax' book on 'Badge Backings of the British Army' indicates that the 1st Bn King's Own wore a red badge backing from 1947, specifying that by 1959 this was a red rectangle 3”x2”, presumably prior to the adoption of the Lancastrian Brigade badge. Does this sound right?

Did the King's Royal Border Regiment adopt the scarlet diamond backing
when wearing of regimental cap badges was resumed following the replacement of the brigade organisation by the administrative Infantry Divisions circa 1967.
Hi,
Most images post WW2 seem to carry a badge backing on the beret,some in what appear to be a tombstone shape, as I mentioned the colour I cannot identify as most are black and white images and the website does not expand past the 1912 date introduction of blue badge backing. I will revisit the site and see if anything is mentioned in other articles.
They were a Royal Regt so the use of red would not surprise me. Their facings being blue.
I'm not sure of the exact date post brigade organisation of the intro of the new KOBR cap badge but they certainly did wear the red diamond backing on the beret and the cloth badge was also set as a diamond attached image showing red diamond badge backing in wear.
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8250.JPG (44.7 KB, 29 views)