British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-01-11, 12:06 AM

Default MID

Looking for the oak leaf emblem for MID. A lady who was a nursing sister gave me her things but the emblem was missing as she had given it to her mother who put it in a picture frame. Have seen some on e-bay that are flat back with a hole in one end. Are these the correct ones and are they sewn on? The only one I have is a replacement but it has a bendable tang. Were the originals like this? Thx Brian
Old 24-01-11, 01:21 AM

Brian,

The ones I have are sewn on. I have never taken them off the medals so I cannot tell you if they are flat backed.

Phil
Old 24-01-11, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barriefield-brian View Post
Looking for the oak leaf emblem for MID. A lady who was a nursing sister gave me her things but the emblem was missing as she had given it to her mother who put it in a picture frame. Have seen some on e-bay that are flat back with a hole in one end. Are these the correct ones and are they sewn on? The only one I have is a replacement but it has a bendable tang. Were the originals like this? Thx Brian
You had better say which war the MID is for.
Old 24-01-11, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWEF View Post
You had better say which war the MID is for.
OOps , WW2 Cheers Brian
Old 24-01-11, 09:05 AM

On my WW2 uniforms I have examples with holes to stitch on and also with two prongs on the back to push through the ribbon and bend over. The leaf is also in several simialr designs so there are manufacturer variations
Lee
Old 24-01-11, 09:26 AM

Heres an almost loose one.
Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (17.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (21.5 KB, 31 views)
Old 24-01-11, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Tamplin's take on it from "British Gallantry Awards":

Quote:
Single-leaved emblem (Figs. C and D) This was first issued in one size only, being approximately 3/4 inch long and 5/16 inch at its widest. It was to be sewn on to the garment on which it was worn through a hole at the end of the leaf and by looping cotton over the stalk'. Subsequently it has been issued for wear on the ribbon when the latter is worn alone. For wear on a ribbon from which a medal is suspended a larger variety is issued which is approximately 1 1/8 inches long and 3/8 inch at its widest, and with "bend over" pins at the back. Different strikes of these emblems exist, variations in depth of colour and detail being particularly noticeable. Small replicas of the emblem are made for wear with miniature medals.
(C & D illustrations in the book being the single leaved post 1920 type, a large one like the pronged type below, and a smaller one with a single hole like the bottom pic.)

Box of prongy types

These (smaller types) are flat backed: if you want one pm me your address and I'll post it to you

[these measure 7/8ths inch rather than Tamplin's 3/4 but he does say 'approximately']

Last edited by Mike; 24-01-11 at 12:06 PM. Reason: 'cause I got it wrong
Old 25-01-11, 02:43 PM

Default MID

Here are some MID insignia issued to a Lt Col Royal Engineers of the East Africa Harbours and Railways branch in Dar es Salaam in 1945. Note the flat back.
MID Kenya 1944.jpg
Old 25-01-11, 04:22 PM

Thanks to all who replied, it certainly answered my question I had wondered about for a while. Also to Mike for his generous offer. Cheers Brian