British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-10-17, 02:52 PM

Default PR titles, Pegasus and wings on a BD: copies?

I guess all this insignia duly sewn on a 1939 ptn BD blouse are modern copies (the embroidered pegasus flashes are poorly made) but I'd ask for the experts to confirm, if possible! Thank you in advance, gentlemen!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Parachute_Rgt_title_1.jpg (58.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Parachute_Rgt_title_2.jpg (64.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Parachute_Rgt_title_wings.jpg (57.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Pegasus_flash_1.jpg (67.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Pegasus_flash_2.jpg (55.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 29-10-17, 03:21 PM

I'm not qualified to comment on their authenticity but they have been properly and professionally sewn on.

Jon
Old 29-10-17, 03:29 PM

I hope you have not bought that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loupie1961 View Post
I guess all this insignia duly sewn on a 1939 ptn BD blouse are modern copies (the embroidered pegasus flashes are poorly made) but I'd ask for the experts to confirm, if possible! Thank you in advance, gentlemen!
Old 29-10-17, 04:13 PM

Default PR Titles, Pegasus, et al.

loupie1961,
Suggest you may want to glance at the guidance provided in the following article; http://arnhemjim.blogspot.com/p/british-militaria.html .

In all fairness, even several decades ago I fully realized that I could never afford a truly genuine WWII Parachute Regiment battledress blouse. As an avid collector, I was reconciled to the next best alternative, with an authentic Pattern 1937 Battledress blouse of a reasonable size, and at least a genuine full set of the correct insignia, I was able to "reconstruct" a blouse that was "technically authentic" but not the genuine article. Heresy you say! It will never be sold until my death, and even then for what it is. Today you may have to reconcile to a similar set of circumstances, probably now with only reproduction insignia, unless you have a spare ten thousand dollars or more, and proof of impeccable provenance. Just a thought for consideration.

Arnhem Jim,
Arizona Territory
Old 29-10-17, 08:25 PM

I don’t like the whole set, particularly the wings.
As a piece of advice, I would look preferably at a blouse with printed patches. They are easier to authenticate. There are so many different variants with embroided patches that it is almost impossible to tell unless you have a chance to look at their backs.
Old 29-10-17, 08:29 PM

Hello and thank you to you all! Yes, as a matter of fact I have bought the BD blouse, being it an authentic 1937 pattern, although with period (????!!!!?) repairs, with no illusions whatever as to the insignia. Price was what one is to be expected to pay (ok, some £ 20more...) for such a BD blouse. Insignia are professionally sewn, so what I have got to decide is whether to keep the BD blouse as the "next best alternative" to a good one, or to apply for a refund. No big sums involved, thanks God!
Old 29-10-17, 08:58 PM

I would ask for a refund. Good luck!
Old 30-10-17, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnhemjim View Post
loupie1961,
Suggest you may want to glance at the guidance provided in the following article; http://arnhemjim.blogspot.com/p/british-militaria.html .

In all fairness, even several decades ago I fully realized that I could never afford a truly genuine WWII Parachute Regiment battledress blouse. As an avid collector, I was reconciled to the next best alternative, with an authentic Pattern 1937 Battledress blouse of a reasonable size, and at least a genuine full set of the correct insignia, I was able to "reconstruct" a blouse that was "technically authentic" but not the genuine article. Heresy you say! It will never be sold until my death, and even then for what it is. Today you may have to reconcile to a similar set of circumstances, probably now with only reproduction insignia, unless you have a spare ten thousand dollars or more, and proof of impeccable provenance. Just a thought for consideration.

Arnhem Jim,
Arizona Territory
This is ridiculous

I have sold probably 5 or 6 original Para Regt blouses with their orignal insignia, some with solid provenance for £1000-1500
Old 30-10-17, 07:54 AM

Insist on a total refund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loupie1961 View Post
Hello and thank you to you all! Yes, as a matter of fact I have bought the BD blouse, being it an authentic 1937 pattern, although with period (????!!!!?) repairs, with no illusions whatever as to the insignia. Price was what one is to be expected to pay (ok, some £ 20more...) for such a BD blouse. Insignia are professionally sewn, so what I have got to decide is whether to keep the BD blouse as the "next best alternative" to a good one, or to apply for a refund. No big sums involved, thanks God!
Old 30-10-17, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr View Post
This is ridiculous

I have sold probably 5 or 6 original Para Regt blouses with their orignal insignia, some with solid provenance for £1000-1500
With apologies, I stand corrected. "Slight" exaggeration. Would however offer the following into evidence; http://arnhemjim.blogspot.com/2016/0...-regiment.html .

Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory