British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-06-17, 01:01 PM

Default 'Red Panda' Eastern Himalayas?: Unknown Insignia

See below attached some interesting and unusual insignia that as of writing has not been positively identified.

The insignia comprises matching pairs of what appear to be;

- Collar badges: Crossed swords with head of 'Red Panda' ? between blades

- Stick-pins: Crossed swords with head of 'Red Panda' ? between blades

None of the badges have makers or silver marks. They appear silver or silver plated, the 'tongue' of the creature in red painted enamel

The collar badges have 4 x loops to reverse of each, and have cotter pins - the style is British inspired / influenced

The other smaller image (if it loads) shows the same insignia - but which I do not own - fashioned in a bespoke Sweetheart Brooch - again in the British style and almost certainly of British manufacture in precious metal (silver and gold) with the creatures eyes set with diamond chips, and a red ruby inserted in it's mouth.

The animal head is curious (it has whiskers) and most resembles a 'Red
Panda' (Red Panda Bear) - I am of course open to correction.

I can't find a positive ID for the insignia anywhere, and in spite of reaching out to some acknowledged experts on insignia of the Indian Subcontinent, none have yet been able to positively ID the items

Note: The badges were formerly from the estate of the family of Lt-Colonel A.S. McKay, MC, late 7th Gurkha Rifles, Indian Army, who served circa 1914-1945 (he served with the Nepal Contingent in 1918 -and had some seconded postings in the inter-war years - but not in any campaigns that qualified for any inter-war campaign medals / clasps. Colonel MacKay served in WW2, but not on the front-line (he remained in India). Basis his long service in India we opine the badges will relate to some service during his 'India' service in WW2, or in the inter-war years while seconded.

7 GR , which recruited from Eastern Nepal, and which regiment had postings in NE India and Burma in the inter-war period, together with the 'RED PANDA' habitat, leads me to think the insignia relates to forces / military and or civil from the frontier states of Nepal / Sikkim / Bhutan or even Burma - all areas which are badly served with regards to published sources of information in English on the insignia worn in those states....

If anyone knows what the insignia I would appreciate receiving a positive ID.

Thanks for looking.

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan_20170622 (3).jpg (33.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Scan_20170622 (2).jpg (44.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Sweetheart Badge for ID (2).jpg (55.9 KB, 44 views)
Old 23-06-17, 12:45 PM
MarkGD

Hi Mark, lovely badges and i hope you have some joy identifying them.
Just some thoughts, firstly i thought the 'collars' looked like monkey's and made me think of Burma, not sure why. The swords look 'Shamshir' of Persian origin, or Islamic. have you looked towards Afghanistan. Of interest, attached is an Afghanistan Local Police patch of recent years with Lion to the centre, image from the web - Good Luck - Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2a1dd485d8b08e57daa8c3db580b3993.jpg (96.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 25-06-17, 05:12 PM

Hi Mark,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts - and insignia.

I don't rule out an Afghan connection (originally when I thought the creatures head was a Bear rather than a 'Red Panda' I had though it was likely something related to the raft of obscure Frontier Scouts units raised in the era 1945-1947) - but suggest the chances of it being that are extremely slim.

I say above as the Afghan attribution does not begin to match / correspond to the existence of a regimental sweetheart brooch for this unit, which brooch was almost certainly British made! Apart from British made examples of the Order of Dooranee (sp) Empire in the 19th Century, I have not come across examples of Afghan medals or insignia made in Britain, or otherwise influence in the British style

If I ever get this positively ID'd I'll post the details here.

Mark