British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-04-18, 10:21 AM

Default Victorian Cameron Highlanders?

Hello All,

Am wondering if it’s possible to distinguish between a Victorian period Cameron badge and one made say, circa 1914? Any give-away characteristics?
Old 10-04-18, 10:29 AM

The Victorian era badge lacked the "CAMERON" scroll, I believe Gaylor states that the pattern with the scroll dates from 1910, but that the original pattern continued in use for some time.
Others will know the ins and outs of this one in terms of specific dates etc.
Old 10-04-18, 10:33 AM

Thanks Leigh, that’s perfect. The date for the scroll addition is exactly the thing Im trying to pin down!
Old 10-04-18, 10:34 AM

I cant be specific re the date, I just seem to recall Gaylor stating 1910, though I suspect those with more expertise in Cameron matters may say the old pattern lingered into or past WWI.
Old 10-04-18, 11:14 AM

Like a few others I suppose I've just read it, sealed 1897 issued 1912?, orasot and I bought most of a boer war collection on boards a few years ago with the youngest badge being 1902-3 and no slidered badges among them if I recall correctly, the camerons badge is of the scroll type, I'd just like to know if the 1912 date is correct or if they were first issued with all the other 1897 cap badges.
Old 10-04-18, 01:35 PM

Mark,
Here is a nice early Glengarry with the scrolless badge, I only found early pre 1897 images of the Pipes and Drums wearing this but haven’t looked for some time.
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0369EE4A-5AAE-4D66-A3BB-C75060DDC263.jpg (28.1 KB, 45 views)
Old 10-04-18, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

The scrolless one was officially obsolete in 1897 when the new scrolled version was sealed. With the usual principle of old stock being used up and 'old-sweat' attachment to the old pattern it remained in use for some years. However dating the changeover to a single year is problematic and 1910 seems far too late. There was more than one battalion and you can be sure that both were worn side by side for some years. However recruits would have been furnished a scrolled badge at depot much earlier.
Old 10-04-18, 03:16 PM

Thanks for all the responses, gentlemen! This is all excellent stuff! Now is there any way to determine early issue scroll badges?
Old 10-04-18, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
The scrolless one was officially obsolete in 1897 when the new scrolled version was sealed. With the usual principle of old stock being used up and 'old-sweat' attachment to the old pattern it remained in use for some years. However dating the changeover to a single year is problematic and 1910 seems far too late. There was more than one battalion and you can be sure that both were worn side by side for some years. However recruits would have been furnished a scrolled badge at depot much earlier.

I think it was Gaylor mentioned a scrolless badge being worn by an officer when the Camerons were amalgamated into the Q o Hlndrs, but then that's rather different to an OR getting away with it.
Old 10-04-18, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Most probable. In a similar vein whilst in Cyprus in Episkopi Garrison in 1996-7 the KOSB officers took advantage of cheap Cypriot silversmiths and commissioned QVC KOSB bonnet badges that were still being worn on amalgamation.
Old 10-04-18, 07:44 PM

Major Charles Mackenzie, GSO 1 (Operations) in 1944 at Arnhem wore his grandfathers silver scrollless badge on his maroon beret on a Mackenzie tartan backing. His beret, with badge, was donated at the behest of Major general Roy Urquhart to the Airborne Museum Hartenstein and is currently on display.

See also here: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/fo...ers-cap-badge/

"The scroll was indeed added in 1897 (see p 101-102 of Bloomer Badges of the Highland and Lowland Regiments). The scroll was added unilaterally by a storeman without the concurrence of the regiment and to their chagrin; allegedly this was done to remind the storemen to which regiment the badge belonged. Consequently, after the scrolled version came into use the old version was much more cherished by those soldiers fortunate enough to own them.
The sealed pattern for this scrolled badge was dated 1897 but an account from the Regiment contends that it was first issued in 1912."

Rgds, Thomas
Old 10-04-18, 08:41 PM

Well a very interesting thread particularly with the links that have to be read through
The Cameron Highlanders were unique in having only one regular Battalion when formed c.1881
I’m sure any old sweats of the 79th other than any Mash B’Stards serving with them would have been proud to have the addition of Cameron’s (as from whom originally raised) put on the badge wether by a storeman with REME skills or officially
Paul

Last edited by Paul Spellman; 10-04-18 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-04-18, 09:22 PM

I wonder if this is a case of the devil being in the details (or St Andrew, more appropriately). This particular example is extremely fine in detail and execution. Might it be indicative of an early issue?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C2110AB4-EDE3-48A6-B0E6-F7288EB64BC0.jpg (63.4 KB, 30 views)
Old 10-04-18, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMcM View Post
I wonder if this is a case of the devil being in the details (or St Andrew, more appropriately). This particular example is extremely fine in detail and execution. Might it be indicative of an early issue?
That is a quality looking badge, could well be Victorian.
Andy
Old 10-04-18, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
That is a quality looking badge, could well be Victorian.
Andy
Thanks Andy, agreed. Here’s the overall:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D0DA4FA8-9D2F-4196-8009-A531374676C6.jpg (86.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg B52B6FBF-D0B5-47D1-8CD5-6ABB98997396.jpg (101.4 KB, 32 views)