British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-04-18, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
I'm no expert on these, but I'm sure all were made in Egypt and were cast, this particular badge shown has had the loops pinched which is generally the sign of a badge from an old collection that had holes drilled in a wooden board and the pinched loops pushed into the wood.

Not a practice recommended and maybe this was why the badge was sold for a reasonable price. A nice find for the buyer . . !

Rob
The LRDG had "run out of desert" by mid 1943 and moved to Lebanon, they didn't disband until 1945, so not all LRDG badges were made in Egypt.

Original LRDG hat badges were either cast, die stamped or die cast. The badge in the first post appears to be die cast and has been highly polished front and back.

Apart from the Gaunt made badges, the last badges issued to the LRDG were die cast and made in brass and bronze.
The following are two original die cast LRDG badges.

Old 27-04-18, 03:29 PM

Default LRDG badges

Well, I did say I was no expert . . !

Were any badges made in Italy or elsewhere?

Rob
Old 27-04-18, 09:39 PM

Thanks Luke, Frank, Rob, Andy and atilathenunns.
I should point out that I was not the purchaser, but wnted to know what a genuine Badge looked like in case I came across one in the future. Thanks for your posts of the genuine items atillathenunns, and I wonder if you would mind posting pics of the reverses.
Thanks,
Peter
Old 28-04-18, 05:12 AM

Well, in that case, I take back what I said in post fifteen, you missed this particular example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingcowyn View Post
I should point out that I was not the purchaser, but wnted to know what a genuine Badge looked like in case I came across one in the future. Thanks for your posts of the genuine items atillathenunns, and I wonder if you would mind posting pics of the reverses.
Thanks,
Peter
Old 28-04-18, 08:36 PM

Hi Frank,
Yes indeed I missed this one, but since I know very little about them except that they are widely faked, I erred on the side of caution, erred being the operative word in this case!
Peter
Old 29-04-18, 10:22 AM

Well, never mind, there with be others in due course, at least you know a bit more upon what to look for in the future, you certainly would not want to spend a very considerable amount of money on something that would have no value whatsoever, in particular, when so many spurious badges are offered as original.
Old 29-04-18, 07:52 PM

Thanks Frank,
You are of course correct, and this is an area that I should study a bit more.
Peter
Old 30-04-18, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
Well, I did say I was no expert . . !

Were any badges made in Italy or elsewhere?

Rob
Rob there is no definite proof as to where the 2nd Pattern cap badges were made or how many, but it is believed by myself and a few others that the majority were made in Egypt, the die cast LRDG badges we suspect were produced in Bari Italy where the LRDG HQ was located.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingcowyn View Post
Thanks,
Peter
Peter without knowing the overall diameter of the badge that was auctioned I cannot say for sure that it is an original, the cast and die cast badges are easy to replicate with modern technology, the lugs and how they are attached look correct, but these too are easy to replicate. I suggest forget the "could be a bargain" and buy from a reputable dealer who offers a money back deal.

Brent

Old 09-05-18, 08:35 PM

Hi Brent,
Thanks for your reply and apologies for the lateness of reply, but I have been away from the internet for a while. You do have a good point, especially when very convincing fakes are widely available, the downside being that you would have to pay top dollar. Of course the other side of the coin is that you could end up paying a few hundred pounds for something that is worthless. Caveat emptor indeed!
Thanks,
Peter