British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-05-14, 06:21 PM

Not sure what Owen has said about the badge. Having said that, I was told that the 17th Bty badge was made from 25 pounder shell casings in Italy. There were enough made for the Bty only and this small quantity makes it quite a hard badge to come by.

In my years of collecting (started in 1968) I have only ever had 2. This one was given to me by a veteran who wore it. The back of the cloth diamond has been reinforced with a bit of Italian newspaper of the period!

Kind regards

Dudley
Old 30-05-14, 04:51 PM

Dudley

I too have heard this story about the manufacture of the badges.

Brian
Old 31-05-14, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madziro View Post
Not sure what Owen has said about the badge. Having said that, I was told that the 17th Bty badge was made from 25 pounder shell casings in Italy. There were enough made for the Bty only and this small quantity makes it quite a hard badge to come by.

In my years of collecting (started in 1968) I have only ever had 2. This one was given to me by a veteran who wore it. The back of the cloth diamond has been reinforced with a bit of Italian newspaper of the period!

Kind regards

Dudley
I have rechecked my Owen, and he was quite correct in reporting the badge, my fault!
Old 14-10-14, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madziro View Post
These are excellent examples. I collect Rhodesian titles in general up to 1980 and have attached images of what is in the collection. The last one was a recent addition and has not yet been included in the table diagram.
Dudley, your chart shows a cloth Rhodesian African Rifles and a metal RAR with the annotation 1930 - 1960 on the cloth and 1930 - 1980 on the metal. The RAR were not raised until 1940 so is this a misprint?
Old 21-10-14, 11:28 AM

Hullo Sunraydeltagolf

Thanks for the heads up. Slip of the finger on my part when constructing the charts. As you correctly say it is supposed to be 1940. Will correct it on the original.

Regards

Dudley