British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-10-14, 08:29 AM

Default EARL OF CHESTERS I Y

Hello. After my bad luck on my Badges which have had negative confirmation i have decided to post more of them in this Thread. I would like members opinion on this Badge shown "EARL OF CHESTERS I Y", if this Badge is a fake then great time and effort has been put in to the production of this badge, hope i get a positive response.
Peter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EARL OF CHESTERS I Y (1).jpg (62.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg EARL OF CHESTERS I Y (2).jpg (67.3 KB, 104 views)
Old 23-10-14, 09:28 AM

Hello Peter,
I hate to say it, but, really just a glance at the reverse is more than enough for me.
Regards Frank
Old 23-10-14, 09:47 AM
Former Member

Peter,
as Frank already states, it is another copy and even though Genuine examples of this particular badge are not always constructed as well as one would expect, they are certainly crisper than your example and the fixing tabs which secure the base scroll to the body of the badge completely different!

As you say the faker has gone to "Some" effort in this particular case, but sadly "Cheap and Nasty" and not the quality associated with original badges from this period (pre 1908).

Best regards

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23 Oct 14 001.jpg (97.8 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 23 Oct 14 002.jpg (99.8 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 23 Oct 14 003.jpg (102.2 KB, 54 views)
Old 23-10-14, 10:06 AM

Hello. Thanks for your replies, I really thought that this was genuine, due to the aged finish and the lug being bent, why would a forger put a bent lug on this badge?, would this be to make it look moe authentic, I take your point about the base scrolls fixings. Well I will keep trying out of my 1000+ badges there must be a genuine one amongst them
Peter.

Last edited by PETEM7591; 23-10-14 at 12:05 PM.
Old 23-10-14, 03:01 PM

Hello Peter,
Tell me, when you collected badges, did you actually stop collecting at some point, did you buy all of them from the fellow, was it always via the post and have you been to any fairs around the country, which would have given you the chance to see and handle very many badges?
As Simon said the other day, there is certainly a pattern here with these badges.
If you were paying £1 or £2 a time back then, it is annoying because in many cases the real thing was there to be had for the same money.
The die from which the badge you show here is very different from that used to make an original, the metal used and fixing's are all clearly wrong.
Kind regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETEM7591 View Post
Hello. Thanks for your replies, I really thought that this was genuine, due to the aged finish and the lug being bent, why would a forger put a bent lug on this badge?, would this be to make it look moe authentic, I take your point about the base scrolls fixings. Well I will keep trying out of my 1000+ badges there must be a genuine one amongst them
Peter.

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 23-10-14 at 03:15 PM.
Old 23-10-14, 03:13 PM

Hi Peter,

I'm not knowledgable enough to comment on this badge but the writing on the wall doesn't look good.

However I wanted to write to just say 'keep your chin up old chap'. It must be very frustrating but as you say there must be a good one somewhere and wish you well in future posts. I for one will keep my fingers crossed for you and with some help from the forum experts at least it's better to know.

Cheers, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 23-10-14, 11:11 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETEM7591 View Post
Peter.
Peter,
It may not have been the faker who bent the lug and artificially aged the badge, but the blame more than likely lies with the git who sold it to you!

There are plenty of good badges to be had so don't be put off collecting, just exercise a little more caution and do your homework!

Best regards

Andy
Old 24-10-14, 06:51 AM

Peter,

I am following this thread, so keep posting please.
Everyone has said what needs to said about the IY badge I'm afraid.

Frank makes some valid points there.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 24-10-14, 07:14 AM

Morning Simon,
When I collected as a child, I always bought in the flesh, so I could see what I was actually buying before I bought it, looking back now, I was very lucky because I found a couple of people who did not sell copies and had a considerable stock to look at.
My one early memory is of a little shop in Blackpool on the corner of Church Street and Grosvenor Street, I can still see it now in my mind, the fellow had an old glass fronted haberdashers cabinet, the wooden shelves that would have held shirts etc were actually full of cap badges, buttons and titles.
Very happy days indeed, but, you can see how this sort of thing happens, you see an advertisement, you order a badge, it arrives, you are happy, so you order another and so it goes on!
Regards Frank
Old 24-10-14, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Morning Simon,
When I collected as a child, I always bought in the flesh, so I could see what I was actually buying before I bought it, looking back now, I was very lucky because I found a couple of people who did not sell copies and had a considerable stock to look at.
My one early memory is of a little shop in Blackpool on the corner of Church Street and Grosvenor Street, I can still see it now in my mind, the fellow had an old glass fronted haberdashers cabinet, the wooden shelves that would have held shirts etc were actually full of cap badges, buttons and titles.
Very happy days indeed, but, you can see how this sort of thing happens, you see an advertisement, you order a badge, it arrives, you are happy, so you order another and so it goes on!
Regards Frank
Totally agree Frank.
I started at Stockport Arms Fair in the late 1960's early 1970's with my Dad. The amount of badges piled up on tables used to just amaze me.
My teenage /early 20's attempts at mail order were always a disaster and I stopped as quickly as I started.

My favourite shop was in York, tucked away through a passage somewhere. Picked up HP's for a couple of quid. Happy days.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 24-10-14, 08:07 AM

Hello Simon,
Yes, I think that is the best thing anyone can do, get out there and have a good look at all the badges you can and above all, talk to people.
Regards again Frank