British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-10-17, 03:56 PM

Default Thanks so much!

All new information to me!

Yes, they are brothers. From my grandfather's generation there were four brothers who left for the war from here in Canada and all returned home. Last night an elderly cousin gave me some papers after I told her what I had learned here. The standing gentleman was in the 65th Battalion and the sitting fellow was in the 43rd Battalion/ 16th Division - exactly as you suggest. Another brother was in the 84th Artillery Battalion and in the papers I was given yesterday, I received a great image of him in his uniform.

The only person I still need to find in my grandfather - the last brother. He served in the Glasgow Highlander in the very early 20th Century. The only other record I have of him is a return boat ticked on the Corsican out of Liverpool during the summer of 1920 with the note "Canadian Soldier Returning". No attestation papers appear to exist for him and no records in the UK are online. I understand that a number of UK WWI records were lost during the bombings of WWII so I may just be out of luck here.

Because of the information you folks were able to dig out of a small, blurry image, I was able to jog some memories here and gain some more insight into some of my ancestors. Even with paperwork, knowing things like one of the gentlemen in the image was wounded, is more than anyone here knew before. I want to sincerely thank everyone who helped with this little project - it has helped me tremendously.
Old 19-10-17, 12:19 PM

Interesting that your relative served in both the 43rd and 16th Battalions, both Highland but one mobilized in Winnipeg and one in BC. Perhaps he was re-assigned on recovery from his wounds - that did happen. I'm just working on a project to do with the Battle of Passchendaele and a number of the casualties there - on the 2nd and 3rd days, I think - were 43rd (Cameron Highlanders of Canada) men.
Old 19-10-17, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Peter, the 16th Bn was a composite Bn. In 1914, four Highland regiments contributed one company each to the new Bn.This included the 91st Regt (Hamilton), the 79th Regt (Winnipeg), the 50th Regt (Victoria) and the 72nd (Vancouver). Each continued to wear their own insignia for a period time. That was the reason for the name, Canadian Scottish; the Bn was not representative of one particular Regt. It is possible a soldier volunteered from Winnipeg and served with the 16th.
Old 02-11-17, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougallg View Post
Hello! I am coming to you for your combined knowledge and insights. I have done a fair bit of my own research in Canada and the UK but have hit a dead end and hope someone else may now be able to help.

These two brothers had the photo below taken around 1916/17 in either Canada or UK. I have the attestation papers for the gentleman on the left indicating he joined the Canadian Army. I can find no such papers for the seated gentleman. I do know that he served in the Glasgow Highlanders in the first decade of the twentieth century before immigrating to Canada with his brother in 1912. I wonder if he joined a British regiment in 1917, although I can not see his name in any list of of men who joined the Highlanders. So my question is - can anyone identify either of these uniforms? Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to help!

Image link: https://ibb.co/dJEYbG
The soldier standing up is wearing riding Breeches so could be Canadian Service Corps perhaps
Old 02-11-17, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Peter, the 16th Bn was a composite Bn. ... the Bn was not representative of one particular Regt. It is possible a soldier volunteered from Winnipeg and served with the 16th.
Thanks, Bill. I'd missed that fact!