British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-01-10, 06:28 PM

Default 'S6' British Slip on title?

Hello,
I have just picked up a modern slip on full lenght shoulder title, which came with a Black Watch tartan Slip on title. However the title I am trying to ID is on an Olive coloured backing and consists of a Blue shield [similar in shape to the Route 66 type US road sign] which has S6 on it.
It appears to have a British soldier's name and no on it, so does anyone know what it is?
Regards
Old 25-01-10, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ypres View Post
Hello,
I have just picked up a modern slip on full lenght shoulder title, which came with a Black Watch tartan Slip on title. However the title I am trying to ID is on an Olive coloured backing and consists of a Blue shield [similar in shape to the Route 66 type US road sign] which has S6 on it.
It appears to have a British soldier's name and no on it, so does anyone know what it is?
Regards
It is from the Infantry Training centre at Catterick and is a Training Platoon identifier. They are also found in red.

Hope that helps

OC14
Old 25-01-10, 08:45 PM

Default ITC Slides

A few examples from ITC Catterick
Corunna, Dettingen, Normandy, Somme
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ITC Catterick Corunna Coy.jpg (1.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg ITC Catterick Dettingen Coy.jpg (1.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg ITC Catterick Para Normandy Coy.jpg (1.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg ITC Catterick Somme Coy x.jpg (19.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 25-01-10, 11:10 PM

Thank you both for your excellebt replies. It's good that it ties in with the BW one, as the BW recruits train there now.
We had a similar thing when I was Training at Woolwich as a Gunner. We wore a slip on two coloured band around our shoulder starpes with a RA collarbadge attached. Each Troop had their own colours.
The title I have is the same as the 'S' one above, but with the addition of the number '6', does that help date it?
Many thanks for your time
Old 26-01-10, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ypres View Post
Thank you both for your excellebt replies. It's good that it ties in with the BW one, as the BW recruits train there now.
We had a similar thing when I was Training at Woolwich as a Gunner. We wore a slip on two coloured band around our shoulder starpes with a RA collarbadge attached. Each Troop had their own colours.
The title I have is the same as the 'S' one above, but with the addition of the number '6', does that help date it?
Many thanks for your time
Probably not, I guess that the S6 slides are worn by the 6th Training Platoon of Somme Company in each training year or training cycle.

OC14
Old 26-01-10, 04:47 PM

I think 'Letter Only' is Pre 2004 with some newer slides having the Platoon Numbers as well, as more than one platoon is in training at any one time.

Other than N on Maroon which is Normandy Platoon of Parachute Company.

Wanted Poppy Pins

Last edited by Mike_2817; 27-01-10 at 12:10 PM.